BZP Mafia Discussion

Voltex

if your argument is that 'it's their game, they can do what they want' then yes that sounds like host abuse to me

people voting as they please has never been this big an issue before burn made such a huge deal out of it, and it probably wouldn't have been if he hadn't made such a huge deal out of it

-Tyler

• Upvote 1

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

TELL ME WHAT IS ON YOUR MIND

Is it really so ghastly that a host wants you to not ignore what effectively amounts to half the game? Half the scenes are ones where you are expected to vote.

Sure, people voting as they please isn't a problem - they can vote for who they choose. They can also null, they're still giving their input. But not voting is not a null, and not a vote - it's ignoring the voting periods entirely. 

On Bota Magna, everything is about to fall apart.

Sure, people voting as they please isn't a problem - they can vote for who they choose. They can also null, they're still giving their input. But not voting is not a null, and not a vote - it's ignoring the voting periods entirely. 

Except when you're not allowed to null.

Which is what it's like in Burnmad's game.

• Upvote 3

1Ydp0mg.jpg

Steam name: Ehksidian

I still don't get why Null is different from Abstention. If you don't wanna vote, don't vote. Easy.

Except when you're not allowed to not vote.

Which is what it's like in Burnmad's game.

ehks can see the future :o

THIS IS THE MONADO'S POWER

...back on topic...

I dislike not being able to null/abstain. While I almost do always vote, that's just because

i dunno i just do.

• Upvote 3

1Ydp0mg.jpg

Steam name: Ehksidian

Ehks, that is amazing. =P

Also, on the topic of the whole not voting thing... What if power randomly goes out for two days right as voting starts? No way to communicate that to anyone for me, and it's not like it was something I could control; I wouldn't be pleased at all to return to death by not-voting.

• Upvote 3

I think that the problem with the "VOTE OR DIE" system is that the sort of folks whose behavior it is intended to combat, those who sign up for games perfunctorily and then get it into their heads that they can ignore them for one reason or another, either won't care or will find it another reason to not play.

I think that the best medicine, in this case, is an established Mafia etiquette for players and hosts alike.

If one signs up for a game, one expects certain things from the host, and in return, one is expected to participate in the game as much as one reasonably can.

• Upvote 2

gZsNWyr.png

(Credit to Nik the Three for the banner)

Problem is, fresh meat such as myself may not understand this established etiquette due to lack of experience. Each group of Mafia players has it's own unspoken code- "House Rules", if you will. I don't fully understand BZP Mafia's House Rules yet, I'll admit.

I strongly dislike the "vote or die" system, though.

Back for a nostaliga trip, I guess.

Maybe "everyone has to chime in during the voting period, even if only to null" would work a bit better; sometimes not voting (but participating otherwise!) for a round or two can be part of someone's strategy. I guess.

While I'm not a fan of people signing up and simply not playing (esp. if they have a role) simply not-vote-off-ing anyone does seem a bit harsh to me. :/

though this

If it came to actually having to kick someone, I'd generally check if they'd been online since voting started, so. =P

*Snaps fingers*

is at least something. I assume you'd also attempt to contact them, maybe?

But yeah, as Quisoves said, establishing a handful of 'general/common rules' or etiquette might be a good idea. Not too many, though, as that would be off-putting for some potential hosts and players alike.

20210512_strollin_banner.jpg

My art collection topic - updated! (21/09/2021)

Also, I've noticed we've got a bit of complaints over Burnmad's game's policy of killing those who do not vote/act. Which to me isn't that at all understandable, because if I was in the host position I'd try and make you vote and act as soon as possible. I don't want you to sign up to do absolutely nothing, since that gives the impression of remaining inactive for the whole game. You don't sign up to games to do nothing, just as you don't sign up to a RPG only to never play one. Do people really have a problem with the host of a game trying to remind people to act and vote in the game they signed up to play? Killing the inactives is, in my view, a good thing for partially remedying the problem that I mentioned in the previous paragraph.

I think a better way of keeping players active is to simply shorten the rounds. Keep each Day/Night to 24 hours; I don't think I had anyone who truly went fully inactive during either XVIII or XIX, both games in which I used the shorter time frame. 

Does this make it more stressful for the host? A little, yes. But I also expect that, if somebody wants to host, that they are also willing to set the time aside for it. There's nothing wrong with having a smaller game of 20 players if that is more manageable time-wise.

MoUP does both, actually. Slightly different mechanics, but there. Also, I think how MoUP does it (you miss three rounds, you're gone) allows for emergencies like what Blade described. Allow for the V-or-D thing to exist, but give the players a certain number of passes.

Portal's XXI used 48 hour rounds to no one's hurt, but I think the 24-hour round is much better at retaining player engagement and keeping games shorter. 

Also of note is the fact that neither Null voting or not voting is generally possible in real life mafia.

For the record of Arsene and any other new players, when people around here null vote, for a long time it meant "voting not to kill anyone." I actually got into a bit of trouble with in my first game as a host because I didn't count (and haven't since then) them as anything. Lately, null voting has also been used to mean "voting to kill a random player."

Welcome back you moom? What is a moom? So has anything major changed while I have been battling school? AP classes leave little time for mafia. I see everyone is still as insane as ever so that's good to know. So what kind of main and side games are going on right now?

Edited by ToaKapura1234

Want to solve an exciting murder mystery? Try Murder Mansion II, a new game in Games and Trivia! 8 Spots remaining!

http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/19274-murder-mansion/?do=findComment&comment=964351

I am not going to ask. So what's been happening since, oh when was I last here November, maybe? Either way, what's been going on since then? Let me guess: Lloyd returned and then left again. (then again I'm starting to get nearly as bad)

Want to solve an exciting murder mystery? Try Murder Mansion II, a new game in Games and Trivia! 8 Spots remaining!

http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/19274-murder-mansion/?do=findComment&comment=964351

I am not going to ask. So what's been happening since, oh when was I last here November, maybe? Either way, what's been going on since then? Let me guess: Lloyd returned and then left again. (then again I'm starting to get nearly as bad)

Voltex and Ehks both hosted a game, Underscore tried to host a game, Seaborgium is hosting Ninjago Mafia, Portal hosted a game (and I won it :P), Pulse is trying to host a different game, and Burnmad went to the carnival and never came back.

Meanwhile, Quisoves has gone mad from being Mafia too many times and has infested the subforum with birds, particularly ones that yell "MOOOM". 

Voltex and Ehks both hosted a game, Underscore tried to host a game, Seaborgium is hosting Ninjago Mafia, Portal hosted a game (and I won it :P), Pulse is trying to host a different game, and Burnmad went to the carnival and never came back.

Meanwhile, Quisoves has gone mad from being Mafia too many times and has infested the subforum with birds, particularly ones that yell "MOOOM". 

...And I (and maybe others, I don't know) have washed ashore, haha.

Edited by Lance Constable Vimes

Back for a nostaliga trip, I guess.