OFFICIAL Bionicle 2015 Topic

Makaru

You know, all this speculation about the Mask of Creation has me thinking...

2001-2005 had the Vahi.

2006-2010 had the Ignika.

That'd be pretty cool if they focused on the third legendary mask for the next story arc. That way we could split the names of the Bionicle era's by a Kanohi name. :P

-NotS

Well, 2001 was not really about the Vahi (it was first mentionned in 2002 if I recall).

"I feel far far away from everything I've ever known, but when I look back, I think of you"
LewaKini.png
Credits to Eeko for the banner. Lewa is awesome.

I am so happy we can finally talk about this. I have a question, though.

If this mask is indeed the same golden mask from the first picture it has changed drastically. Does lego really change things that dramatically from a prototype? They look like completely different masks.

Also, in the HF subforum, someone needs to change the description because it currently says "The Bionicle line of sets may have ended but Hero Factory is here now." What about something like "Discuss the successor of the original Bionicle line here"?

Ignika.jpg

wasnt this the original mask of life? later changed to Mata Nuis Kanohi Ignika? 

250px-IgnikaEdited.png

and for 2015 

wasnt there a story arch in the comics about Elemental Heroes which wasnt touched?

I am so happy we can finally talk about this. I have a question, though.

If this mask is indeed the same golden mask from the first picture it has changed drastically. Does lego really change things that dramatically from a prototype? They look like completely different masks.

Also, in the HF subforum, someone needs to change the description because it currently says "The Bionicle line of sets may have ended but Hero Factory is here now." What about something like "Discuss the successor of the original Bionicle line here"?

Ignika.jpg

wasnt this the original mask of life? later changed to Mata Nuis Kanohi Ignika? 

250px-IgnikaEdited.png

and for 2015 

wasnt there a story arch in the comics about Elemental Heroes which wasnt touched?

Yeah, they were called the elemental Lords and they were intented to be Toa-leveled vilains for the original 2010 storyline.

• Upvote 1

"I feel far far away from everything I've ever known, but when I look back, I think of you"
LewaKini.png
Credits to Eeko for the banner. Lewa is awesome.

2001-2005 had the Vahi.

That'd be pretty cool if they focused on the third legendary mask for the next story arc. That way we could split the names of the Bionicle era's by a Kanohi name. :P

-NotS

Well, 2001 was not really about the Vahi (it was first mentionned in 2002 if I recall).

Still, the Vahi was originally meant to make it's debut in 2001. And the Mask of Time was a thing and it's power sets and such were all described back then. So I'd say it counts (it was part of the mystery).

-NotS

• Upvote 1

tahubanner.jpg

We're gonna be like Turaga to the new younger fans.

can't wait to deceive and mislead the new fans about who we are and where we're from for three years
"In the time, before time, Hapori Tohu descended from the heavens, carrying us, the fans, onto this beautiful Internet Paradise named BZPower. We discussed and lived in peace, honoring the many rules of Hapori Tohu. However our happiness was not to last, for LEGO canceled Bionicle, unleashing a wave of mediocre toylines.

Until one day, a prophecy written in the code foretold of our heroes' return, and the ending of the "meh" lines."

*cue in Vultraz with crown and Gata Nui rolling in through Kini Nui conducting the hype train*

EDIT: Considering how old the new fans may be 2001 could actually BE a time before time for them. :P

Edited by Archon~
  • Upvote 4

Archon                      

"For one to truly feel alive, the person must kill oneself a little bit each and every day."

Check out my MOC, one of the new generation of Toa on Spherus Magna!

***Toa Kyraan***

EDIT: Considering how old the new fans may be 2001 could actually BE a time before time for them. :P

I was thinking earlier how kind of strange it is for us to think that the upcoming batch of Bionicle fans will be younger than Bionicle. I mean I guess fans of things like Transformers and Star Wars and the like would be used to this - but it's new and exciting for us. Hopefully it continues to stand the test of time. :D

• Upvote 2
photo-50441.gif

Credit to Pohuaki for the awesome banner! ^_^

Vultraz's mask was hideous, and possibly the worst mask in the entire series

nah son.

Who's mask is that? :o

Gali 2008? 

Follow the light...

The Hype Train will take you to it

Follow me on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/JTHStudio

Also, watch my new BIONICLE Short: "How BIONICLE Really Came Back" http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/15938-how-bionicle-really-came-back-a-brickfilm/

This was posted a while ago, but:

It'd be like an author having half their book stolen and spread before it was finished - it'd ruin the book and damage their ability to profit from it.

I agree with your point, but that might actually help the sales of the book, since people would only have half of the story, and want to find out the rest.

can't wait to deceive and mislead the new fans about who we are and where we're from for three years

yessss

• Upvote 2
rsz_screenshot_from_un_chien_andalou.jpg
My Writing Blog (more writing coming soon!)

My Bionicle/LEGO Blog (defunct)

Hyfudiar on Spotify (noise/drone/experimental music)

"Although this is nothing like the Bionicle we grew up with, mind you. I have to say, Tahu went through some really complex character development. And everything hinged around the mysterious red star that was never fully explained and it was pretty neat."

• Upvote 8

20383310448_7d514f8ffa.jpg

Spoiler Alert

""At the very end of the old Bionicle, it was revealed that the Mask of Life was controlling everything, pulling all the stings.  Boy, I'm glad they didn't carry that over into the new one.  Now Vultraz is pulling the stings.""

• Upvote 8

On 9/29/2014, Greg Farshtey said:

"Just wanted to say a quick something --

A lot of you guys are BIONICLE fans, many from way back. It's no secret that you are some of the smartest, most loyal, and most dedicated fans out there. You, and you alone, have carried the torch for the line over the last four years. Hopefully, you will feel rewarded for your efforts by 2015 BIONICLE.

Regardless, I wanted to take this opportunity to say that I am really proud to be associated with you, and you should be really proud of yourselves"

Ordinarily, I don't do quotes, but this is special.

Fire Ice Water Stone Earth Air... I mean Jungle.

Bionicle: The Legacy Hero An attempt to put some magic back into Bionicle.

2001-2005 had the Vahi.

-NotS

Still, the Vahi was originally meant to make it's debut in 2001. And the Mask of Time was a thing and it's power sets and such were all described back then. So I'd say it counts (it was part of the mystery).

-NotS

The existence of the Vahi mask piece was known of since the first year, but it didn't make a story appearance until the climax of the Kal arc in early 2003. Its backstory was finally explained in the Metru Nui flashback in 2004.

• Upvote 2

""At the very end of the old Bionicle, it was revealed that the Mask of Life was controlling everything, pulling all the stings.  Boy, I'm glad they didn't carry that over into the new one.  Now Vultraz is pulling the stings.""

I've been saying ever since 2008 that Vultraz is the best, most powerful of all

And now finally people agree with me

And it's all thanks to official Bionicle art that we have no context for

This is awesome

• Upvote 5

Gathered friends, listen again to our legend of the BIONICLE

In the time before time, 

We were rigid and without articulation

But the design team illuminated us the three virtues:

Unity, Duty, and the Metru build.

We embraced these gifts and in turn created the Inika build, after the Metru build itself.

But our happiness was not to last, for the design team's supervisors, the Makuta, based the design of the Av-Matoran build on it

The design team was free to use the Av-Matoran build for eternity, and use it they did!

Edited by Toa of Gallifrey
  • Upvote 14

I'm not sure how to react to the fact that that got 15 likes. 

Still not seeing Vultraz in that. Still seeing the viking helm. 

It's official. I'm crazy. 

• Upvote 2

bZpOwEr

I'm not sure how to react to the fact that that got 15 likes. 

laugh verb (used without object)

to express mirth, pleasure, derision, or
nervousness with an audible, vocal expulsion of
air from the lungs that can range from a loud
burst of sound to a series of quiet chuckles and is
usually accompanied by characteristic facial and
bodily movements.
  • Upvote 14

20383310448_7d514f8ffa.jpg

Spoiler Alert

It's gonna be a reboot. Anything else just doesn't make sense from a business standpoint.

Lego would never expect children to read up on a decade of lore just to enjoy their action figures.

But a reboot wouldn't make any sense from the story point-of-view unless it was a hard reboot - otherwise, we already know that the Great Spirit is a giant robot everyone is inside of/on the surface of. I can only see it as a reboot if it's a hard reboot.

• Upvote 2

It's gonna be a reboot. Anything else just doesn't make sense from a business standpoint.

Lego would never expect children to read up on a decade of lore just to enjoy their action figures.

But a reboot wouldn't make any sense from the story point-of-view unless it was a hard reboot - otherwise, we already know that the Great Spirit is a giant robot everyone is inside of/on the surface of. I can only see it as a reboot if it's a hard reboot.

And it's most likely to be a hard reboot, since every attempt at a soft reboot during Bionicle's lifespan failed to address the issue of the story being inaccessible to the majority of new fans. I don't see a contradiction here.

• Upvote 2

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

It's gonna be a reboot. Anything else just doesn't make sense from a business standpoint. Lego would never expect children to read up on a decade of lore just to enjoy their action figures.

And it's most likely to be a hard reboot, since every attempt at a soft reboot during Bionicle's lifespan failed to address the issue of the story being inaccessible to the majority of new fans. I don't see a contradiction here.

True this.

It's gonna be a reboot. Anything else just doesn't make sense from a business standpoint. Lego would never expect children to read up on a decade of lore just to enjoy their action figures.

True this.

i thought we agreed it could be a continuation if it was a time skip 

True this.

i thought we agreed it could be a continuation if it was a time skip, a time skip big enough, so none of the old story is neccary for the new story

I can't wait for my Fikou, Sea Spider, Visorak and Lord of not to be named fight it out. Who will be the true lord of the spiders?

• Upvote 2

Add me on 3DS: 0516-7750-0068

Add me on Wii U: Boidoh

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 4: Never Trust a Snake

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 44: Corridor of Elders

Like, Comment, And Subscribe for Nintendo Content - NinBoidoh

BIONICLE Battle of the Spiders - 2015

Let's get back on topic before we start discussing leaked info.

Add me on 3DS: 0516-7750-0068

Add me on Wii U: Boidoh

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 4: Never Trust a Snake

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 44: Corridor of Elders

Like, Comment, And Subscribe for Nintendo Content - NinBoidoh

True this.

i thought we agreed it could be a continuation if it was a time skip

I didn't. As I said before, time skips are pretty ineffective in Bionicle, since the majority of characters will still be around even thousands of years into the future. And besides, opening with "ten thousand years later" would probably break the suspension of disbelief for new fans who aren't used to Bionicle's preposterous timeline.

Frankly, I haven't heard ANY credible advantages to a continuation, besides appealing to the tiny number of fans who still care about Bionicle, want a continuation, and would be willing to spend money on the sets. Lego needs to attract new customers, and every method of continuing the past storyline throws up barriers to that. A reboot, on the other hand, starts everyone off on an even playing field, and allows for all Bionicle's past mistakes to be avoided. I've seen lots of people throwing out ideas for how a continuation could be made more accessible, but zero proof that even the most ideal means of continuing the story would be MORE effective at drawing in new fans than rebooting everything. So why would Lego even risk it?

Edited by Lyichir
  • Upvote 4

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Seeing this mask makes me super excited because it just looks so... BIONICLE. It really looks like something I would've expected to see the the good days of Bionicle. It combines the beautiful and sleek aspects of the Ignika with the tribal-esq look of the original mata masks. As much as people will make fun of it for looking like Breez or Vultraz, it simply looks good, and that makes me happy.

I can only see Bionicle being a reboot but if they can pull off a continuation and make it good, then no problem, I'm down.

But if this is the Mask of Creation then I'd like to ask what it is doing separate from Artahka's face. A reboot solves this, and a continuation could suggest Artahka died and his mask was taken from him. Again, reboot wins out here, but it could still be any mask.

I'd also like to see re-introductions of characters we already know in different ways if this is a reboot. For example Artahka could be brought back and described as simply "a valiant warrior/creator who won the right to wear the great Mask of Creation after the Toa won it from their vile enemies." This would most likely happen later though, as the canon expands again. I would imagine Lego would start small at first, it's only viable.

CHOO CHOO!!! CHUGGA CHUGGA CHUGGA, CHUGGA CHUGGA CHUGGA, CHOO CHOO!!!

Edited by Banana Gunz
  • Upvote 1

My half-cent on the reboot/continuation issue: reboot. Basically what Lyichir's been saying.

Now for something completely different: new fans, and how likely they are to be younger than Bionicle!

My older younger sister is 13, and she's a current Bionicle fan. Not as raving as I am, but she's a couple months younger than Bionicle and I dragged her into that whole "being a Bionicle fan" thing from the moment she was old enough to understand what I was rambling about. She's been being mildly apathetic about my flailing since the first whiff of this popped up, and has quite patiently listened to my incoherent shrieks of delight in the past 24 hours.

time

... so. Ah. Where was I? Oh, yes. Bionicle's target demographics is/was tweens last I checked, so yeah it's likely any new fans will have been in their infancy at the same time as Bionicle Classic. And even some old fans, too, because younger siblings of fanatical fans tend to learn about these things just to understand what their siblings are ranting about all day.

I write stories, on occasion. Finishing them... yeah, uh. That's another thing entirely.

Avatar made with the Rayg Kit 2.5, and featuring Lilak, Toa of Lightning.

She is totally, totally not a shameless self-insert. Y'know, except for the part where she is. :D

My half-cent on the reboot/continuation issue: reboot. Basically what Lyichir's been saying.

Now for something completely different: new fans, and how likely they are to be younger than Bionicle!

My older younger sister is 13, and she's a current Bionicle fan. Not as raving as I am, but she's a couple months younger than Bionicle and I dragged her into that whole "being a Bionicle fan" thing from the moment she was old enough to understand what I was rambling about. She's been being mildly apathetic about my flailing since the first whiff of this popped up, and has quite patiently listened to my incoherent shrieks of delight in the past 24 hours.

time

... so. Ah. Where was I? Oh, yes. Bionicle's target demographics is/was tweens last I checked, so yeah it's likely any new fans will have been in their infancy at the same time as Bionicle Classic. And even some old fans, too, because younger siblings of fanatical fans tend to learn about these things just to understand what their siblings are ranting about all day.

Well people like us would probably be seen as the "veterans" (Yes, I do consider myself a "Bionicle Veteran" even though I joined the site not too long ago. I have liked Bionicle for most of my life and have a pretty fleshed out knowledge of it's history). New fans would be the newbies and would join the site and be pretty naive. Eventually they'll get addressed to the old 10 years of story and then that will be a whole mess of it's own. I feel like there might be some sad conflict between old and new fans though, the new ones will probably mostly be young and might be ignorant. Oh BZPower's gonna be busy alright, it's gonna be busy.

• Upvote 2

time

Well people like us would probably be seen as the "veterans" (Yes, I do consider myself a "Bionicle Veteran" even though I joined the site not too long ago. I have liked Bionicle for most of my life and have a pretty fleshed out knowledge of it's history). New fans would be the newbies and would join the site and be pretty naive. Eventually they'll get addressed to the old 10 years of story and then that will be a whole mess of it's own. I feel like there might be some sad conflict between old and new fans though, the new ones will probably mostly be young and might be ignorant. Oh BZPower's gonna be busy alright, it's gonna be busy.

I'm that one guy halfway between rookie and veteran.

I'm a vetekie.

• Upvote 2