BZPRPG News and Discussion

Nuju Metru

Fun fact: A LONG time ago (before the new forums, at least) when I played this Denrika and Kalyss were a pair of mercenaries: Denrika was a ta-matoran with a massive disc launcher (seriously, it was like a frigging ballista), and Kalyss was a Skakdi warrior alongside her. You can make matoran that stand up in battle.

... lol but that's when they have a ballistae and Skakdi warrior by your side. Unless your character is a Mazeka, they tend to be pretty bad to fight with. And really just having the extra power makes things more enjoyable and gives the character more choices/abilities.

Permit me to introduce you.

Statistics:

- One Vortixx, Whenua's assassin (Ta-Toa), Ko-Toa that hurt his friend, one Valkyr (technically a tag team), a Toa Team, and a Lesterin defeated, driven off or stalemated in personal combat.

-PC Kills: One

-Rallied defense against Rahkshi horde.

Permit me to introduce you. Best known now as a Toa Maru. Known before for being commander of the, to date, Ussalry squadron with the most memetic fighters.

Were the archive not gone, I would tell you to look for when Reordin took on the Daedra in the NBZP. Even now if you look back towards the hospital brawl in Ko-Koro you can find Kellin forcing a Legacy member to retreat.

My best experience, and practice, in roleplaying came from a Matoran. It means, as a buddy once put it, controlling a non-powered midget in a world where everyone has physics defying superpowers. It's a unique perspective, and there's a reason that many moons ago Toa were only available as a reward. If you can learn to handle a Matoran, no other species in the BZPRPG will ever prove a challenge.

• Upvote 7

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

Breaking Point: An OTC Mecha RPG

I have seven characters in this RPG. Four of them are female. All are played similarly to the males. I play at least one female all but two RPs I'm I've ever played.

I've never had the idea that female characters would be different from male characters aside from the obvious things that only can happen to (physical) females.

"When life gives you lemons.... Make orange soda!"

"You're immature for age..."

BZPRPG character profiles

My best experience, and practice, in roleplaying came from a Matoran. It means, as a buddy once put it, controlling a non-powered midget in a world where everyone has physics defying superpowers. It's a unique perspective, and there's a reason that many moons ago Toa were only available as a reward. If you can learn to handle a Matoran, no other species in the BZPRPG will ever prove a challenge.

Vortixx still best master race. 

And I mean that without all that fancy tech stuff. 

I need to make more Vortixx. 

Or just find a way to post with Salvinn...

Edited by Purple Devil

ryuki-kr-miho.jpg

The problem, however, is that you still seem to consider changing the character's gender to interfere with the vision you have for them, when that really shouldn't be the case.

Note: This was written in a calm and collected manner, and was not intended to offend.

Okay, I don't know how to make this come across any clearer, but I will try to explain it one more time using my own creation processes as an example. Contrary to how other players go about this, I don't usually put that much time into creating my characters because I let them create themselves.

Basically, when I play RPG's, I don't usually immediately jump into them. Instead, I open up my mind while I'm going about my daily routine (which I'm not going to get into here) and eventually a fully formed character (complete with biography, character traits, events that they would like to see/take part in, alignment, etc. already established) walks up and grabs my attention by metaphorically kicking me in the teeth. Then I jot them down and let the adventure begin.

Using this process, my vision of them is technically the visions that they already have for themselves, because I actually treat my characters as if they were alive and thus give them a say in how they should turn out instead of treating them like ants and pretending that I'm their "god" with some rays of sunlight and a magnifying glass. Now humor me for a minute here, because this is where it might get a little personal (hopefully not in a bad way, because I'm not intending it to turn out like that at all). Imagine for a moment that you were in their shoes; everything that has ever happened to you up to this point in your life, including your memories, past experiences, relationships, etc., is just a preview of how things are going to play out, and, for the most part anyway, you're pretty happy with how things are turning out for you.

Then, without warning, someone you don't even know comes over to you, flips the "god" switch, tampers with something that makes you "you" while leaving all of your memories of your old life intact, and thrusts you back into the world to deal with the consequences of their changes to your life.

Frankly, that would tick me off just a little bit, and it does the same for my characters to the point where they don't even want to go on anymore, which is exactly why I stopped trying to force them into things in the first place.

In short, things like gender don't actually make or break my particular visions for them at all, because my visions of them aren't the ones that really matter at the end of the day; their visions of themselves are, and I'm not going to sit here on my side of the screen and force them into becoming something that they don't want to be just so I or anyone else will end up liking them more. That's my two cents.

• Upvote 1

Epics: 

Hero Factory: Contagion

RPG Characters:

BZPRPG Characters

RPG History:

The Asylum, Bionifight Infinite, Year 60,000, Matoran und Panzer, HF RPG 2.0, Wasteland, Corpus Rahkshi, Skyrise

GM Résumé:

Matoran und Panzer (Formerly Appointed Co-GM), Corpus Rahkshi (Former Substitute Co-GM)

Feel free to shoot a PM my way if you're waiting for me to respond to something and I've been taking a while to do so.

Well, I guess playing as a matoran can be pretty rad, but I think I'm not a fan of mine because of how low key they've been. My biggest problem is learning as to how I can contribute story-wise to the RPG as a whole and become a leader. Any ideas? I'm just still oblivious to a lot of things in the game and I'm afraid I'll screw up again...

Meanwhile the gender of characters I have is often in flux.

(Warning, possible inconsistent terminology ahead!)

When I started, most of my characters were of the male sex. Previously, I had written as a few female characters competently, but I usually didn't just because among my former cliche of 12/14-year-old writers, writing as someone other than straight guy automatically entailed sloppy makeout sessions (because that's what kids those ages automatically thought).

Then I joined XMDD in the off-topic forum. And suddenly almost all my characters were female, or became female sex-wise. And often gender-wise (see: Kristen Hailey). Now it seems like everyone I write is a female character. Landes'Rehn from FTL, Jiyu (who at times has expressed desire to be female), Arden (and by extension Aeolus)... The list continues to grow.

Matoran can do that. You just need to keep trucking on, and even if you feel as if there's a large chasm between you and successfully running a quest, just jump anyway. What type of character you play doesn't affect whether you can plot or not. It's all up to you choosing to do so.

Grab an idea that might interest people. Start it up and send out feelers to get people to join. From then on, you just need to keep momentum going to reach the end.

Well, I guess playing as a matoran can be pretty rad, but I think I'm not a fan of mine because of how low key they've been. My biggest problem is learning as to how I can contribute story-wise to the RPG as a whole and become a leader. Any ideas? I'm just still oblivious to a lot of things in the game and I'm afraid I'll screw up again...

Solution:

Don't try to be important. There is no winning. Just because you're not at the front isn't a bad thing.

Actively trying to push yourself in the spotlight doesn't lead to fun times. Just let it happen naturally. The best thing to do? Make good characters.

That, if anything, is as close to "success" as you can get in collective storytelling.

1Ydp0mg.jpg

Steam name: Ehksidian

I wanna play some Matoran, but I've already got ideas surrounding a Toa team my current two characters used to be part of and I wanna get them out of the way first before I move on.  What with all the talk that's been going on, though, maybe I should just put them on hold for now, have Joskander wander off somewhere for no reason, and get to kicking rear with a guy half the size of everyone else he's fighting.  :P

It is not for us to decide the fate of angels.

Dominus Temporis, if you're out there, hit me up through one of my contacts.  I've been hoping to get back in touch for a long time now.  (Don't worry, I'm not gonna beg you to bring back MLWTB or something.  :P )

Solution:

Don't try to be important. There is no winning. Just because you're not at the front isn't a bad thing.

Actively trying to push yourself in the spotlight doesn't lead to fun times. Just let it happen naturally. The best thing to do? Make good characters.

That, if anything, is as close to "success" as you can get in collective storytelling.

I'm not really trying to "win" or pull the spot light onto myself, but I guess just making the character work well is number one. I'd just like to try making my own way in the RPG and such. My next character will hopefully be the best I've made. I'd like to push him as my sig character.

Solution:

What's more, sometimes you can turn that frustration of always being on the edges into a form of character development.  That's what I've tried to do with Lucira and Hatchi.

• Upvote 2

There's a dozen selves inside you, trying to be the one to run the dials

bLSFh.gif GMbsT.gif 0o6ku.gif ylbon.gif KqsNO.gif zHdXI.gif BCQuL.gif CIPdo.gif Y5AOI.gif

[BZPRPG Profiles]

Hatchi - Talli - Ranok - Lucira - FerellisMorie - Fanai - Akiyo - Yukie - Shuuan - Ilykaed - Pradhai - Ipsudir

And some aren't even on your side.

Solution:

I'm not really trying to "win" or pull the spot light onto myself, but I guess just making the character work well is number one. I'd just like to try making my own way in the RPG and such. My next character will hopefully be the best I've made. I'd like to push him as my sig character.

The best character you've ever made means nothing if you don't throw them into interactions and what-not. Sometimes the character you consider the masterpiece might just fall by the wayside, while one of your existing characters takes that spot. And in my experience, you can't really push a character as your signature. It's pretty hard to control that.

I used to think Arkrak was my signature character, but now? He doesn't even have a spot on my profile pages.

• Upvote 2

I'm gone for two hours and the N&D topic is full of poetry. I'm going to spare my sanity and not bother asking why.

Back on topic; I know I used to take this game just a little bit way too seriously, investing myself in my characters to the point where I took every affront to them as a personal insult to me. However, I quickly realised that this was a really freakin' stupid way to think, so I moved on to the enjoying the game part of things. 

I'd suggest you all do the same. This is just a game...

Even if it is incredibly addictive. 

Embers - A Bionicle Saga - Chapters/Review

Class Is Out - A Farewell To Corpus Rahkshi - Chapters/Review

BZPRPG Characters - Minnorak, Kain, T'harrak, Savis, Vazaria, Lash

BZPRPG Mercenary Group - The Outsiders - Description - History - Base

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

Oh please no they won't

Everyone here adores me

I am the greatest

There was a young player called Raz,

Who (like Ziggy) thought he was the nazz.

The staff didn't like

So they gave him a strike

And now only two chances he has.

I kid, I kid. As far as I'm concerned, as long as the content is on-topic, writing in haiku/limerick/sonnet form/whatever is fine. (Note, however, that the only on-topic haiku was Hub's.)

• Upvote 8

sig_panel_bzprpg.pngsig_panel_profiles.pngsig_panel_flickr.pngsig_panel_steam.pngsig_panel_n7.png

Ghosthands wins the  :bzpower: RPG poetry prize!  :winner: 

More on topic, do we have an ETA on the Ko-Koro timeskip? I'm curious as to what's happened since the Maru ran away.

• Upvote 2

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

Okay. Looking forward to it. 

What about just the heads?

Although that would be more of a headhunt than a traditional fetch quest. 

Oh please no they won't

Everyone here adores me

I am the greatest

There was a young player called Raz,

Who (like Ziggy) thought he was the nazz.

The staff didn't like

So they gave him a strike

And now only two chances he has.

I kid, I kid. As far as I'm concerned, as long as the content is on-topic, writing in haiku/limerick/sonnet form/whatever is fine. (Note, however, that the only on-topic haiku was Hub's.)

One of these days I'll get you guys to pronounce it right

Not today though I'm not that much of an optimist

helo frens