BZPRPG News and Discussion

Nuju Metru

I don't see the difference between gender and sex. What's the difference?

Well kid, sex is what you're born as, gender is what you yourself perceive yourself as. Being a gender fluid I tend to feel like both, lean toward female more than male. The fact that my sex is male really has nothing to do with it. 

Also with all this debate about how male and females brains are really the same, and can do the same stuff. Only word I have for you is Skyra. :3 

I'm probably one of the few people that feel more comfortable with female characters than male, I'm just odd like that. =P

Edited by Skitty
  • Upvote 1

363513066_tobecont.png.5b057f495e0794e9450207c84546738e.png
My Bzprpg ProfilesGhosts of Bara Magna

Skyra | Hakari | Oceanna | Taleen | Arisaka | Zanakra | Kaminari | Drakkar

I had a lot of thoughts about this but then I thought--

y'know what

my primary BZPRPG character is very much female, and proud of it

in real life i myself am very much male, and also proud of it

and so i understand that men and women are oft times a little different
(and hopefully always will be because that's part of the grand spice of life)
but not

really so very much different

and certainly one side of the coin is not somehow superior to the other

and from a mature writer's perspective they're all complex and intriguing and great fun to write as

but most of all it's their identity you gotta worry 'bout because identity trumps sex/gender/species/blah

but i already know that even if not everyone else does

so i guess ima just shut up and be happy with the way things are, riiiiight? :)

• Upvote 2

I make up characters. I write them. Stuff happens.

I have found that for me, putting too much planning into a character doesn't produce satisfactory results. Take Trauer. I had a long back story planned for him, kind-of planned all kinds of stuff that was supposed to happen to him in the RPG, none of which ended up occurring. He ended up randomly becoming a disciple to some dude he barely knew (and he certainly doesn't understand much about or even totally agree with said dude's beliefs), and now he's down near the Vault staring at the Abettor, who recently turned Skorm's pelvis into mashed potatoes.

Faora, on the other hand, was created with the sole purpose of becoming an Outsider, and even then, the only stuff in her bio that so far has played much of an impact in my writing her is her half-blindness. And you know what? She's been a blast to write. I've certainly produced much better writing (I think so, anyway) with her than with the more-planned-out Trauer.

What does that have to do with the current discussion? I don't know. Maybe something like: I didn't really think very much about gender when I made my characters. It was pretty much, "Well, my first character was a male, so I'll make a female character next." Or something like that.

My epic: For Them (Review Topic)

BZPRPG: Trauer and Faora

Bionifight Ultimate: Daedalus Drachoren and Von Worten Undtränen

The Elder Scrolls: Ashfall: K'Larn

Speaking as someone who spent more time around my mother and my sister growing up than my dad, I've never really had that experience while writing characters of the opposite sex either. If I ever did have a moment like that, it happened long before I started writing.

Briefly taking the conversation back towards the character idea in question that pretty much started this whole thing, the issue I had was about being able to stick to the original vision of the character, not about having to most likely change the sex of them to make them playable. Sometimes, I actually consider it more fun to play as Septima or Dravennica than Zenithex, Verulas (and I love his pessimism), or Taranis and Tenjin (though in their defense, they're still kind of new), and it's not just here either; most of the characters I've had the most fun with in every RPG I've played were, in fact, female, and I plan to introduce more of them as they come to me.

Epics: 

Hero Factory: Contagion

RPG Characters:

BZPRPG Characters

RPG History:

The Asylum, Bionifight Infinite, Year 60,000, Matoran und Panzer, HF RPG 2.0, Wasteland, Corpus Rahkshi, Skyrise

GM Résumé:

Matoran und Panzer (Formerly Appointed Co-GM), Corpus Rahkshi (Former Substitute Co-GM)

Feel free to shoot a PM my way if you're waiting for me to respond to something and I've been taking a while to do so.

I've never had much problem writing from the perspective of either gender, so when I started making characters for the RPG I tried to be pretty even-handed in terms of what sex they were.

Of my seventeen characters, ten are guys, and the other seven are girls. 

Edited by Roman Torchwick

Embers - A Bionicle Saga - Chapters/Review

Class Is Out - A Farewell To Corpus Rahkshi - Chapters/Review

BZPRPG Characters - Minnorak, Kain, T'harrak, Savis, Vazaria, Lash

BZPRPG Mercenary Group - The Outsiders - Description - History - Base

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

I sometimes like to do an exercise where I reverse genders of my characters (in anything, not just RPGs) and see how I would be portraying them differently:

Casanuva: It's difficult, given Casanuva's nature, but doable. Lady!Casanuva would probably be slightly more successful in her pursuit of women, but be even more social, and less combat-focused, or at least more focused on her elemental powers.

Vakua: Given that Vakua is somewhat gender-neutral to begin with, not much would change. Only difference is, now you have a slender, mute, telepathic female rather than a male.

Kalyss: Far too close to being a jock for my comfort, though he might be a little less aggressive, but less overall impressive.

Skorm: Difficult to say. I would probably lean towards less brute-force tactics if Skorm was a lady.

Aelied: Admittedly, the 'wise old herb lady' archetype is pretty cool. I would probably her as a bit more humorous than I will Aelied.

Zueya: Wide-eyed nooblet toa-in-training. Not much changes, to be honest.

Cyrix: Would probably downplay the stealth aspect and play up the sniper aspect.

Denrika: might be less neurotic and more sleazy, given his position.

Fyura/Vayde: Fyura wouldn't change much, but would likely be less humorous overall, since we have enough snarking evil male skakdi in the RPG already. Vayde doesn't identify, being a Parakuka and all, but I think it currently leans toward male. Reminds me of a male anglerfish that way.

The times, they are a-changing...

I've never had much problem writing from the perspective of either gender, so when I started making characters for the RPG I tried to be pretty even-handed in terms of what sex they were.

Of my seventeen characters, nine are guys, and the other seven are girls. 

I... I...

The maths...

My epic: For Them (Review Topic)

BZPRPG: Trauer and Faora

Bionifight Ultimate: Daedalus Drachoren and Von Worten Undtränen

The Elder Scrolls: Ashfall: K'Larn

Of my seventeen characters, nine are guys, and the other seven are girls. 

I... I...

The maths...

Yeah, sorry, screwed up. It should be ten, not nine. I've fixed it now. I missed a name while I was going through my list of characters. 

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

I'll honestly admit, like Ghosthands, I didn't really have female characters until the Dasaka, at the least, for this period of the RPG. All in all, I will say I've preferred Male characters. But I do not have anything against female characters, I've had several over many RPGs in my time here. It is simply a personal taste. That being said, I have always tried to play those characters with respect and dignity. As normal, fleshed-out characters (Depending upon my own writing skills, mind you), not walking, talking stereotypes. I've always thought I could do better than that. That I could try to do something different from that, and become a far better, and well rounded writer that way.

Edited by Mr. House
I occasionally return to BZP for a nostalgic trip back. Hit me up on discord if you need anything. 

BZPRPG Characters that I will possibly revive, Mons-Shajs-Tarotrix-Aryll Vudigg-Jorruk Yokin-Senavysh Angavur

I plan on making a new character in the future. I've been pretty unhappy playing simply as matoran. They're not totally great (especially considering they're my first characters) and I can see why people gravitate towards playing as powered beings.

And I do agree that while gender/sex is a huge part/effect on a person's character, it's not their defining feature and that anyone can be a three-dimmensional person/character regardless of who they've been born as. I don't know if I believe that men and women work the same personality-wise, as I've never been a woman and can't say from experience, but they deserve to both be treated equally and fairly. So, the dasaka gender system seems pretty fair to me.

Edited by Banana Gunz
  • Upvote 2

I plan on making a new character in the future. I've been pretty unhappy playing simply as matoran. They're not totally great (especially considering they're my first characters) and I can see why people gravitate towards playing as powered beings.

But matoran are good to play as

you can get battle crabs.

1Ydp0mg.jpg

Steam name: Ehksidian

But matoran are good to play as

you can get battle crabs.

Toa, Turaga, Lesterin, Skakdi, and Vortixx can also get battle crabs.

I like crebs, but other than that, they're very limited. It is possible to make an interesting powerless character, but I'd rather have a stronger character who can make a bigger effect on the world much easier. They're just more fun in my eyes!

Fun fact: A LONG time ago (before the new forums, at least) when I played this Denrika and Kalyss were a pair of mercenaries: Denrika was a ta-matoran with a massive disc launcher (seriously, it was like a frigging ballista), and Kalyss was a Skakdi warrior alongside her. You can make matoran that stand up in battle.

Edited by Keeper of Kraata

The times, they are a-changing...

Fun fact: A LONG time ago (before the new forums, at least) when I played this Denrika and Kalyss were a pair of mercenaries: Denrika was a ta-matoran with a massive disc launcher (seriously, it was like a frigging ballista), and Kalyss was a Skakdi warrior alongside her. You can make matoran that stand up in battle.

... lol but that's when they have a ballistae and Skakdi warrior by your side. Unless your character is a Mazeka, they tend to be pretty bad to fight with. And really just having the extra power makes things more enjoyable and gives the character more choices/abilities.

I have one Matoran character. She got her hand cut off.

Then she got a new hand and cool powers thanks to antidermis, and wound up getting magnetic force-choked by Echelon. 

Fun Times. 

• Upvote 1

So I went to sleep and I missed good stuff.

My first female char was eye opening in the sense that it wasn't anything special. I just rolled with her the way I did with my other chars. That lack of anything special was the unique realisation in itself.

So.

Done.

Unfortunately, I don't play my Dasaka characters a lot, but that's because I just can't roleplay into Kentoku easily, at least, the way I do for Mata Nui.

Y'know what we really need?  Turaga.  You can never have too many old people.

• Upvote 2

It is not for us to decide the fate of angels.

Dominus Temporis, if you're out there, hit me up through one of my contacts.  I've been hoping to get back in touch for a long time now.  (Don't worry, I'm not gonna beg you to bring back MLWTB or something.  :P )

I find it a little funny how you all are comparing your female characters and all but professional writers have to do both(and maybe more) genders for their characters. I know that's on a different level but still.

Care to elaborate? 

363513066_tobecont.png.5b057f495e0794e9450207c84546738e.png
My Bzprpg ProfilesGhosts of Bara Magna

Skyra | Hakari | Oceanna | Taleen | Arisaka | Zanakra | Kaminari | Drakkar