BZPRPG News and Discussion

Nuju Metru

I've heard stories about anatomy standardisation... bad stories... that end on cliffhangers...

Embers - A Bionicle Saga - Chapters/Review

Class Is Out - A Farewell To Corpus Rahkshi - Chapters/Review

BZPRPG Characters - Minnorak, Kain, T'harrak, Savis, Vazaria, Lash

BZPRPG Mercenary Group - The Outsiders - Description - History - Base

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

Which defeats the purpose of Ta-Matoran having heat-resistance in the first place. 

no it doesn't

Not all elements are created equal. Bo-Matoran have pre-loaded extensive knowledge of herbs and plants.

and here I had my boy looking to study for nothing ohohohoho

helo frens

My personal head-canon views those with the element of Crystal as having multiple societies and cultures to explain why everyone seems to use a different prefix when referring to that particular power set (since I believe that there are currently three at the moment), but I do tend to use Cy- as a blanket term, so thanks, Xemnas.

Epics: 

Hero Factory: Contagion

RPG Characters:

BZPRPG Characters

RPG History:

The Asylum, Bionifight Infinite, Year 60,000, Matoran und Panzer, HF RPG 2.0, Wasteland, Corpus Rahkshi, Skyrise

GM Résumé:

Matoran und Panzer (Formerly Appointed Co-GM), Corpus Rahkshi (Former Substitute Co-GM)

Feel free to shoot a PM my way if you're waiting for me to respond to something and I've been taking a while to do so.

Yeah, I've always used Cy. It's what's on the wiki, so I went with that. 

Embers - A Bionicle Saga - Chapters/Review

Class Is Out - A Farewell To Corpus Rahkshi - Chapters/Review

BZPRPG Characters - Minnorak, Kain, T'harrak, Savis, Vazaria, Lash

BZPRPG Mercenary Group - The Outsiders - Description - History - Base

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

Been gone a bit.

You're all still crazy. 

Just perfect. 

Now to wrap up stuff so I can actually post again. 

Also were you guys really arguing over a weapon being ineffective in certain situations? Well gosh golly, I guess long swords are out of the question for that one day when I end up in small corner. 

No more long swords kids, move along.

• Upvote 4

ryuki-kr-miho.jpg

You're not gonna get a standardized trait. If you want to run one by us, by all means. But getting people to accept a detail like that as standard isn't something you can do. They'll either take to it themselves or they won't.

The problem is what you are saying is antithetical to the rules-heavy nature of this RPG! Pretty much every character aspect or choice is covered somewhere, and you are giving players a blank check to come up with whatever the they want?

And this coming from the guy who said a Toa of Air wasn't powerful enough to mimic a vacuum cleaner?

The times, they are a-changing...

"Rules-heavy nature"

are you sure you know where you are, man

this place is actually pretty lenient if you think about considering just how sandbox it is

the only way we could be considered "rules heavy" is with how much we strive to maintain

I dunno

realism
like keeping out a rail-gun sword

profiles i guess

i'm a south american giant otter now

You're not gonna get a standardized trait. If you want to run one by us, by all means. But getting people to accept a detail like that as standard isn't something you can do. They'll either take to it themselves or they won't.

The problem is what you are saying is antithetical to the rules-heavy nature of this RPG! Pretty much every character aspect or choice is covered somewhere, and you are giving players a blank check to come up with whatever the ###### they want?

And this coming from the guy who said a Toa of Air wasn't powerful enough to mimic a vacuum cleaner?

Aside from the Dasaka, this argument is categorically wrong; we've eliminated gender constraints, allowed freedom for players to choose (mostly) any mask they want to create some pretty OP element/mask combos, edited around canon elemental pronouns (Pa-Matoran for Plasma, Ve-Matoran for Plantlife, etc) and only kept traits belonging to canon Matoran where they belong - relegated to that canon Matoran. Crystal's a custom element designed and fleshed out mostly for this game by players, not the staff; if anything, us naming a random elemental trait would stretch further into overbearingly rule heavy than something that's actually necessary.

We're not going to tell you if your Cy-Matoran have better armor output, can forge crystals, or glitters like Edward Cullen at a pride parade. We don't care that much. If you do care, feel free to get inventive.

Or just complain. That's cool too, but in the end it doesn't get you anywhere.

-Tyler

• Upvote 11

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

TELL ME WHAT IS ON YOUR MIND

We've got a smaller player base now and we've slipped a little more toward the side of the story and what would make sense given our location, rather than crazy over-the-top stuff like kilometer long airships. Sue us. This really isn't rules heavy at all compared to a lot of different RPGs that have been on this site and others in the past, and so I must say: it's funny you mentioned vacuums earlier because your argument sucks (joke stolen like a true friend, obligatory "JK" @ Keeper)

And if your thing requires a standard trait for a non-canonical type of Matoran that's just about only found in the RPG section of this website, then you're gonna have a bad time. And if your thing needs a trait for a specific matoran but not a standardized one for all the matoran of crystal, then you really don't need to mention it in here, do you?

Edited by The Otter

profiles i guess

Meh, most of the new rules put in place deal with things that were either too much trouble than their worth or things that people were abusing and so some boundaries had to be set up.

Like the Mahiki.

And to be fair, the game back then was chaos, with people running around with armies of toa and makuta and whatnot. Not that the freedom was bad, just that it wouldn't mesh with our current story-heavy game.

mnogsignature.png

BZPRPG -

The problem is what you are saying is antithetical to the rules-heavy nature of this RPG! Pretty much every character aspect or choice is covered somewhere, and you are giving players a blank check to come up with whatever the ###### they want?

Oh boy. Where to begin.

Well, firstly I think there's more than a little bit of irony in stating that a staff ruling is antithetical to the game that that staff member was hired to run. I'm aware that you've gone to the boss with the same question, and you will find he will give the same ruling we did. I assure you I wasn't hired for my stunning good looks.

And, as a matter of fact, it is not a "blank check" because it still has to go through us, the staff. Crystal is an element thought up by players a very, very long time ago. Like the Lesterin it has been accepted into the game's culture, but also like the Lesterin the details of the element is still in the realm of the people who made it. 

Furthermore, I'll let you in on a little public secret; elemental traits don't mean much. You're rarely going to find a time where they're an issue, or a time where they were deemed overpowered. They aren't even usually mentioned outside of certain circumstances. I can't remember the last time a Fe-Matoran mentioned theirs, or a Le-Toa theirs. Outside of a few specific elements (Fire, Ice, Earth, etc) they don't come up.

Making a standardized trait for a custom element by way of staff decree is pointless, bordering on overbearing. As my colleague noted above. 

And, really? You're trying to use a previous ruling by myself, on an entirely different subject, dealing with how an element works to try and go against my lack of a ruling on an elemental trait? The failures in that logic are so ridiculous that I'm not even going to address them.

I keep asking if Dasaka are immune to mental attacks (outside those perpetrated by other Dasaka) as Ce-Matoran are, but that gets ignored whenever I bring it up.

The last time you brought it up was here. You brought it up as a statement, not as a question. If you have a question you want answered, you should firstly phrase it like a question. And if you want it definitively answered you should PM it to a staff member. You're not being ignored. To be ignored implies that we are consciously avoiding answering just your question, because our management and duties revolve entirely around you. And not just us, but every other player is doing the same. This is not the case.

Now, since it is so important, I shall address this. It is probable that the Dasaka have a heightened resistance to psychic attacks from Kanohi, as they are by their very nature watered down versions of powers the Dasaka possess themselves. Outright immunity is something that the staff would have to discuss, but a heightened resistance is probable.

Edited by Ninth Krayzikk
  • Upvote 2

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

Breaking Point: An OTC Mecha RPG

I just thought it would be a nice way to flesh out the world. Again, I will elaborate on why I am hanging onto this detail if it isn't found to be relevant.

Anyway, moving on... I remember it being mentioned that the Dasaka didn't make metal weapons out of their dead for obvious reasons. One thing I realized: why not out of rahi bones, like on Barus Magna? Respect the rahi and not enough, I am guessing? It could be a nice world-building detail if the ancient Taajar clans used bone weapons that were partially metal.

The times, they are a-changing...

Again, where do you get the blacksmiths? You have the metal, but unless they've been perfecting their art for decades at the very least, you're not gonna be able to make quality stuff out of it, if at all.

Also, the metal may turn out to be more similar to copper than to iron, in which case you're better off using crystal.

Taajar still carry small stone knives to this day...

But anyways, the BZPRPG with all of these tight rules makes it a certain kind of game. Makes it a manageable, highly consistent game with very little bickering, or else player abuses. It has some flaws, but is nonetheless enjoyable and balanced. For all the complaining about them, let me bring up the example of the old, Pre-2011 BZPRPG as a counterpoint to the game at present. Having played since '09, I think I have a fairly good grasp about what it was.

Now, back in the days of the Santun/Kin, and up to Locus Abeo, the rules were incredibly loose. Players could create virtually anything. Fully powered Makuta (I personally had several), Toa with one to two elements, or combined elements, custom Kanohi, Elements, and Species without any hint of staff involvement. Players could create gigantic organizations with fully-fleshed militaries. For example, the old Brotherhood of Ak'rei'an had a player Archangel, Army, Navy, Air Force and Special Forces! All this remained until '09, when this lack of rules degraded the game into an admittedly fun battle between villain/neutral factions. One so severe that the entire world was destroyed because of their actions, and Tuck had to ferry out everyone onto magic ships to Aensetr Derrum.

So, try not to complain about too much rules. Knowing the alternative, be thankful, very thankful.  

Edited by Mr. House
  • Upvote 8
I occasionally return to BZP for a nostalgic trip back. Hit me up on discord if you need anything. 

BZPRPG Characters that I will possibly revive, Mons-Shajs-Tarotrix-Aryll Vudigg-Jorruk Yokin-Senavysh Angavur

Fully-powered Makuta? 

In the BZPRPG?

...I so wish I was on BZP back then.  :D

Some of those fully-powered Makuta translated 40 of their Kraata abilities' worth of raw power into un-blockable, incredibly autohitty psionic strength... the fact that that was even possible should already raise some red flags. Characters like that had the right to rip your head clean off your shoulders, and then use it to practice their two-seam fastball (against a nearby rock). Characters like that raised and controlled massive forces of Rahkshi or Neo Shifters expies on a whim, shrugged off injuries and PC foes like water, and kept pieces of other characters' faces as trophies on their airship mantles.

It was an age of tremendous bullies, and it was a lot less fun than I just made it sound.

• Upvote 8

test2.png

Huh. Okay then.

So would we ever see severely weakened* Makuta (Aside from him) in this version of the RPG?

*As in, only one or two powers, no Rahkshi creation, no currently unapproved Kanohi etc.

Seeing as Makuta are hulking suits of protosteel armor with enough raw power to give Toa Teams pause already without powers, probably not. Could certainly try though.

Bossman ninja. Wooo

Edited by Gravity

mnogsignature.png

BZPRPG -

Some of those fully-powered Makuta translated 40 of their Kraata abilities' worth of raw power into un-blockable, incredibly autohitty psionic strength... the fact that that was even possible should already raise some red flags. Characters like that had the right to rip your head clean off your shoulders, and then use it to practice their two-seam fastball (against a nearby rock). Characters like that raised and controlled massive forces of Rahkshi or Neo Shifters expies on a whim, shrugged off injuries and PC foes like water, and kept pieces of other characters' faces as trophies on their airship mantles.

It was an age of tremendous bullies, and it was a lot less fun than I just made it sound.

I always thought it was amazingly fun back then. I will also say nothing about the move set invented for no other reason than to deal with a certain overly psionic Makuta who's name may or may not have started with a U and ended with Z.

"I serve the weak. I serve the helpless. I am their sword and their shield. If you want to strike at them, you must go through me, and I am not so easily moved."

zsUPm2E.jpg?1

The T.O.Y.S. Store

If I missed your tech request lately, feel free to shoot me a PM or just talk to Avak or Thok in Ko! As far as I can tell, I approved Darkon's latest cache, IcarusBen's glider, and Kughii's lockpick, but I feel like I'm missing something. Feel free to hit me up and let me know!

-Tyler

• Upvote 3

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

TELL ME WHAT IS ON YOUR MIND

I was going to make a pun (Wizard of Uz) but now I can't, cause someone already said the real name.

Thanks, Kray.  <_<

Back to the Cy-Matoran thing, I don't want a trait because rule-heavy.

It's because every other element has a trait!

Inconsistency, people. Inconsistency.

LEGO Republic:

The Valkyrie

The "Christmas Brick"

My BZPRPG Profiles

Now a proud member of The Kanohi Force

76561198041367047.png

And this makes Crystal different because.... Reasons.

The fact of the matter is that this would be fine if Crystal wasn't on the official list. Custom elements are allowed, y'know. But when it's on the official BZPRPG list of elements, a certain amount of information is expected.

Plus, seriously, how hard would it be just to give us one trait?

LEGO Republic:

The Valkyrie

The "Christmas Brick"

My BZPRPG Profiles

76561198041367047.png

ITT: People getting all worked up over something that doesn't ultimately matter in the long run

if you want a trait for your matoran of crystal make one

there's no reason for an official trait to be made because invariably there'll be somebody who doesn't like it, will claim that the staff are being oh so rule heavy and evil and blah blah blah and oh look that's why we didn't do this in the first place because it's pointless and will just cause problems ultimately to do it

just go sit down and drink your chocolate milk (or protein shakes if you're raz or tiragath) in peace like big kids mmk

edit: I can words

Edited by The Otter
  • Upvote 1

profiles i guess

Ta-Matoran 1 and 2 both have fire resistance. Ga-Matoran A & B both have the ability to hold their breath longer. Ce-Matoran X & Y both have higher-than-usual psychic defenses. Cy-Matoran I has better natural defense, but Cy-Matoran II has the ability to identify crystals by touch.

Do you see the problem here?

LEGO Republic:

The Valkyrie

The "Christmas Brick"

My BZPRPG Profiles

76561198041367047.png