Tamaru - Jungle Defender

Makaru

Great build. I really like the armored look, like Tamaru's ready for action.

"She?" Explain.

Per the topic details:

One Matoran, Tamaru, took a risk and rebuilt herself into a sleeker form than her Le-Matoran brothers. Since then, many other Matoran rallied behind her courage and sought to discover who they were, outside of the expectations of their village code.

This is the Trans-Tamaru concept that a really good person came up with that I just had to build.

• Upvote 2

20383310448_7d514f8ffa.jpg

Spoiler Alert

Great build. I really like the armored look, like Tamaru's ready for action.

"She?" Explain.

Per the topic details:

One Matoran, Tamaru, took a risk and rebuilt herself into a sleeker form than her Le-Matoran brothers. Since then, many other Matoran rallied behind her courage and sought to discover who they were, outside of the expectations of their village code.

This is the Trans-Tamaru concept that a really good person came up with that I just had to build.

ah.

• Upvote 1

bBhcfWO.png

Yeah, I've heard the headcanon before. Though I'm not sure how I feel about the idea, this MOC is amazing. There is really so much to love! The arms are my favorite part. They are so clever and just the right size and shape for such a MOC. Of course, it's always nice to see some teal (or light azure) as well. Looking through the rest of the pictures, the addition of the gear on back is great. It brings back so much nostalgia. If only those dark green pieces came in teal though.

The only thing I would change about this MOC would be the feet. They just don't look right for a Tohunga. I was imagining a foot with this HF armor and then two toes sticking out underneath. I was actually planning on using it for my own Tamaru (or Kongu) MOC.

Edited by Click

Love the MOC and the whole concept of it. Really captures the feel of the early Le-Matoran aesthetic, yet with a modern twist. The gear is a great addition as well. If there's one thing I'd change, I'd probably replace the Le-Metru disk with a Mata Nui "bamboo" disc. I feel that would just flow a bit better, but that's just me. 

• Upvote 1
Bliss.png

Very nice.  The color scheme is great and the design is somewhat simple but effective.  I especially like how you connected the Kanoka launcher to the hands... it seems quite natural from the front.  However, I did spot that loose connection on the shoulder armor, which would cause them to flap around if she was hung upside-down.  It looks good in her pose here (exceptionally good, actually) but those kind of connections bother me for lack of realistic playability.  :P

While a little tall for a Matoran, I can't wait to see this model on display at conventions!

:music:

• Upvote 1

I see that you're back in BBC with style, Makaru, as this is a nice new Matoran model that you've come up with. Given the paucity of teal these days, the new Hero Factory blue-green color makes a worthy substitute. Of course, Tamaru does have teal on her little pack, which has a great connection in the green rope, I must say. I see you've also given her a classic Kanoka launcher, which also looks good.

Overall, use of Hero Factory limbs here is solid, as they're just the right size for a larger-than-average Matoran. Tamaru is also well-armored with that lime Toa Nuva chestplate and the Inika shoulder plates (great connection there). And of course, since the Rau never did exist in teal (sadface), the lime one fits in fine instead.

As for the headcanon behind Tamaru's new female incarnation, I am always happy to see more female Matoran besides Ga-Matoran.

~B~

Edited by Ballom
  • Upvote 1

I love the build and the colors and all, but I really jsut wanna focus on that upper arm/shoulder build and how brilliant it is and how great it looks. I really really love it, wish I thought of that ^^ Upon first seeing it, I actually was very heavily reminded of the way the Matoran looked when they were rebuilt and before they were shrunk, so yeah that really comes across very well. And WOW you were lucky to have all those pieces in the perfect colors! She looks great, you did an awesome job c:

• Upvote 1

pomegranate-banner-sm.png .

What's not to like here?  She looks like a strong jungle warrior, as Le-Matoran should.  I also like how it looks like she's got that clearly armored look.

But I also like the headcanon.  I remember some thread in S&T claiming that Greg apparently implied the existence of Matoran who don't identify with their tribe's gender, and a lot of people liked that idea.  I mean, if it can happen with humans, why not Matoran?  Besides, I always felt that the Rau was one of the more feminine-looking masks anyway, so it only adds to the female image here for me.  :P

• Upvote 1

Congrats on the feature! You definitely deserve it!

Anyway, great work on the MOC. You used quite a bit of colors here, (perhaps a bit too many) but all of them flow together nicely and I really like how the final look turned out. I'm also a fan of how you added in the disc launcher, and the mask of course looks great with the rest of the build. Great work on this!

• Upvote 1

shadow_destroyer_banner.jpg
Thank you to the Dark Beings Banner and Avatar Shop for the banner! Brickshelf Gallery  BZPRPG Profiles 

That shoulder design just makes me all warm and fuzzy inside. Also, I have to say that the dark azure is the perfect color for Tamaru's secondary. (see?)

The headcanon is an interesting idea, and I must admit that I've always thought of Tamaru as looking a bit feminine (albeit just because of the mask). 

leechfoam.gif "Copy and paste me into your sig! The shadows command you!"

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

tarakavabanner.jpg

#tumaislove,tumaislife

Where did the concept of Tamaru being a female originate? I'm sort of new to Bionicle fandom, so I'm ignorant about these things.

Also, Makaru, I can shamelessly admit that I stole your torso design. It's that good.

EDIT: where did the lime green nuva chest plate come from? Did you paint it?

Edited by Last Son Amakusa

This is a great rendition of a fantastic fanon, Makaru! I especially love her little messenger bag, and the color placement is perfect.

I have one question, how'd you get the heartlight to work with that torso design? Is there a 4M long axle-with-stud-on-end?

EDIT: where did the lime green nuva chest plate come from? Did you paint it?

It came from Exo-Force's Gate Assault set.

Edited by Cabooceratops

You're all the best.

The only thing I would change about this MOC would be the feet. They just don't look right for a Tohunga. I was imagining a foot with this HF armor and then two toes sticking out underneath. I was actually planning on using it for my own Tamaru (or Kongu) MOC.

What I would have REALLY liked to have done is use those new claw feet or even just a Toa Mata foot. Unfortunately, lime is in very short supply. I don't really like the HF armour option you suggest, as it does not really make the foot smaller or sleeker in design, and would sacrifice stability which is a big NO for me.

I really love this - headcanon and MOC alike. I would say that the gap in the middle of the HF feet is a little jarring ... maybe a part or two thrown in there would help the flow?

In order to actually put parts down on the ankle and above, I would need to use either a lot of system (which is not used anywhere else), and would end up looking bulky on the foot. Plus I have little to no acceptable colours to use for such an endeavor.

If there's one thing I'd change, I'd probably replace the Le-Metru disk with a Mata Nui "bamboo" disc.

Unfortunately, I own Slizer disks and Metru Disks, and none from in between. I've never actually owned a McDonald's promo Matoran until I bought Onepu second last year.

Im a sucker for sets of six, so could we possibly see some other Matoran very similar to this one?

Maaaaaybe if I can find enough pieces for a Ta-Matoran. I've already built my Matoran namesake (AKA Onu-Matoran Makaru). I'll have to hunt through my masks and see if any inspire me.

However, I did spot that loose connection on the shoulder armor, which would cause them to flap around if she was hung upside-down.

While it is "loose", it does not flop around often and she has to be in just the most unusual of angles for them to be floppin, and there aren't many degrees of freedom for it to move (~3-4 studs from shoulder at most)

But I agree with you! Even in my more complex and bigger build, I like to make sure all connections and details are as secure as possible. Loose connections are a pet peeve of mine.

I remember some thread in S&T claiming that Greg apparently implied the existence of Matoran who don't identify with their tribe's gender, and a lot of people liked that idea.

I do not remember that thread at all, and I don't care. I'm running with it as 100% fact and no one can stop me.

You used quite a bit of colors here, (perhaps a bit too many) but all of them flow together nicely and I really like how the final look turned out.

That is the importance of colour blocking. It is important to use a good mixture of colours that work together, but it's ALSO important to have those colours mean something. Lime green for "skin", azure for "muscle", grey for purely mechanical bits and dark green for body core. There's no such thing as too many colours, just poor implementation.

If I may ask, what does the gear on the back do?

It is entirely vestigial and superfluous. But I feel that spinal gear is an important visual callback to include for any good Matoran/Toa MOC.

So this happened...

I saw!! I was so blown away by it.

I have one question, how'd you get the heartlight to work with that torso design? Is there a 4M long axle-with-stud-on-end?

I use the 3-length studded axle to back-mount the nuva chestplate. The heartlight is on a grey studded pin, which is flush against the stud on the axle. It sticks out a little more than it naturally should, but it works better considering the steep contour on the chestplate. Good eye!

Edited by Makaru
  • Upvote 2

20383310448_7d514f8ffa.jpg

Spoiler Alert

The arms look okay but a little odd, the body is alright, I do like the use of the Vahki Waist and also like that you put a gear on the back. The bag is great like the use of parts.

Now the bad stuff, the legs are not good and I think it would be better with normale HF legs, the hands looks really bad, it would look a lot better without the fingers.

:akakunu: My Topics :akakunu:

MOCs: Construct-a-Astronaut

:voyanui: Find Me On :voyanui:

Flickr 10.gif Twitter 10.gif Youtube

• 1 month later...