OFFICIAL Bionicle 2015 Topic

Makaru

Honestly, the more and more I keep the sets around me, the more the gold makes me upset. It looks fine on Onua and tolerable on Tahu since it's similar to an orange-y yellow (seriously, I don't like that gold color :( ) but it just looks bleh especially on Kopaka in my eyes.

Is there any way to give Gali wider hips? That's the only mod I wanna make on these sets.

Edit: How about flipping the base torso beam upside down?

In general, I don't think Gali's hip joints need to be any wider. The five-module width of the hips is already a slight exaggeration from real, human proportions (male or female). Seven-module-wide hips will just make her look bowlegged, kind of like the original Pohatu.

If you feel like she's not feminine enough, some beefier armor on the thighs might help that, or even a skull spider body on each hip joint (forehead facing down). Because we can do that now! And in fact, Skull Spider bodies would complement the segmented texture of that torso shell nicely, something I've been hoping to take advantage of in a MOC one of these days. But personally, I think she looks plenty feminine without comically exaggerating the width of her hips.

The Skull Spider bodies actually make her pretty curvy: http://imgur.com/WYwnSi8 http://imgur.com/WYwnSi8,OCcYU5e,thEioaf#1 http://imgur.com/thEioaf 

(not the best photographer :( )

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

Is there any way to give Gali wider hips? That's the only mod I wanna make on these sets.

Edit: How about flipping the base torso beam upside down?

In general, I don't think Gali's hip joints need to be any wider. The five-module width of the hips is already a slight exaggeration from real, human proportions (male or female). Seven-module-wide hips will just make her look bowlegged, kind of like the original Pohatu.

If you feel like she's not feminine enough, some beefier armor on the thighs might help that, or even a skull spider body on each hip joint (forehead facing down). Because we can do that now! And in fact, Skull Spider bodies would complement the segmented texture of that torso shell nicely, something I've been hoping to take advantage of in a MOC one of these days. But personally, I think she looks plenty feminine without comically exaggerating the width of her hips.

The Skull Spider bodies actually make her pretty curvy: http://imgur.com/WYwnSi8 http://imgur.com/WYwnSi8,OCcYU5e,thEioaf#1 http://imgur.com/thEioaf 

(not the best photographer :( )

That actually looks better than I expected, partly because they don't look so much like the hips themselves but rather like shields of some sort like those on Stahl and Sully from Fire Emblem.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

From the sounds of it, I'm pretty lucky to find Onua right now, which is good because Onua is my favorite. Sure enough, when I went back for the PoE the next day there were no Onua sets left. There were at least three of everything else including LoSS and Gali. Earth has always been my favorite element in Bionicle and the two this year are phenomenal. The trans-purple looks amazing and they are big, strong characters. The sets themselves are solid and exemplify the Earth element well. One thing I noticed in person that I didn't really see well in pictures is that Onua's torso stickers have a rock-looking pattern underneath the tribal designs. I find the use of half pins in the hammer/shoulder pieces interesting considering the only reason for them is for the "combiner". I used to fill empty pinholes with half pins back in ge1 too so that doesn't bother me it's just interesting that they did that.

10331959915_9f4d0b34c7.jpg
"Avengers? Fantastic Four? X-Dudes? They can all kiss my bony, flammable plastic."- Johnathan Blaze (Ghost Rider Vol 7 0.1)

Roodaka was overall a sexist character but nobody seems to acknowledge this just because she's presented as having agency and power and greg made her species female dominated

everything about her is tailored towards male audiences and the male gaze: her overly exaggerated female features and her habits of slinking around and whispering seductively into people's ears. It's presented as a strong female character, but isn't really.

• Upvote 3

I've always loved the Water sets. Water has been my favorite element in Bionicle but sadly I never owned much water sets.

I think I have like, four or five water sets but none of them are from the same team. I've never owned any Gali sets besides the 2008 form and I used that in the Trinuma set.

Big mistake.

Either way, This Gali looks to be my most favorite set ever. I think she just beat Hahli out for my favorite Toa.

Lara Croft

Tomb Raider Cliff Climbing

I sorta wish Gorast was more feminine, I didn't know she was a gal until 2012.

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

So I've posted my review of Pohatu

I won't link all of them here as I post them since I feel like that might be considered spam maybe? I dunno, I feel like it would be in bad taste. :P 

Pohatu is my least favorite of the Toa, but I basically think that the 2015 Toa are like, perfection, so saying he's my least favorite is like, well, picking my least favorite from perfection.

So I've posted my review of Pohatu

I won't link all of them here as I post them since I feel like that might be considered spam maybe? I dunno, I feel like it would be in bad taste. :P

Pohatu is my least favorite of the Toa, but I basically think that the 2015 Toa are like, perfection, so saying he's my least favorite is like, well, picking my least favorite from perfection.

Nice couch.

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

I've gotten all the Protectors except for the Fire and Stone ones, so I don't know if what I'm about to say can apply to all of them. But I will say that I am very impress with the color scheme of all the Protectors. With each one I've built I've continued to be amazed at how great each of their color scheme are on them. Just this week I've built the Protectors of Jungle and Water, and both of them look great. Especially the Water Protector. I thought the Ice one would be my favorite Protector when I first saw the new sets, but she is a serious contender in overthrowing that opinion of mine. :P 

I plan on getting the Fire and Stone Protectors soon. If they look as good as the four I currently have, then I will have no regrets getting them. 

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

I just wish she had some actual elbows. I do admire the creativity of the 2007 and 2008 villain canisters, and I hope we'll see similarly monstrous villains for Bionicle Gen 2.

Or maybe Lego can do the Hordika right this time by making monstrous heroes. The Hordika were a neat idea failed by boring sets that looked less monstrous and animalistic and more just ugly. 

Edited by Latrodectus
  • Upvote 1

I just wish she had some actual elbows. I do admire the creativity of the 2007 and 2008 villain canisters, and I hope we'll see similarly monstrous villains for Bionicle Gen 2.

Or maybe Lego can do the Hordika right this time by making monstrous heroes. The Hordika were a neat idea failed by boring sets that looked less monstrous and animalistic and more just ugly. 

That would be really cool. The Hordika was a pretty neat concept, but was pretty much a snooze fest in execution like you said. Hopefully they attempt again with 'beast Toa'. I wanna see a lizard-like Tahu, lol--Reminds me of those dino Transformers.

• Upvote 1

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

I think the fact that sets have moved away from clone builds could really help that, especially now that even the main six are distributed across different size classes.  It opens up the possibility of differing limb constructions or further mutations like wings.

• Upvote 3

OpAXNpl.jpg

Roodaka was overall a sexist character but nobody seems to acknowledge this just because she's presented as having agency and power and greg made her species female dominated

everything about her is tailored towards male audiences and the male gaze: her overly exaggerated female features and her habits of slinking around and whispering seductively into people's ears. It's presented as a strong female character, but isn't really.

Personally I really like Roodaka as a set. She is very well constructed, and really portrays the type if character she's meant to be.
  • Upvote 1

Signature Guidelines: Avatar and signature total file size may not exceed 250 KB!

I would also prefer they cut down on armour being attached to the balls on the "skeletal limbs" ( I don't know its exact name) it really makes the figure feel very flimsy and fragile, unlike the past figures which felt a lot more stable and "solid" because they used connectors to attach armour parts.

Edited by tinbore

Except it doesn't. The new CCBS system is so much better at making the sets look powerful and cool. If anything, the old system made them look fragile.

I don't think he means that the CCBS pieces look weak, he's talking specifically about the ball joint connections. The old armor pieces connected with a pin, and were securely locked in place, keeping them from wobbling or moving around at all. The new shells and chest plates attach with ball joints, giving them some wiggle room. I understand his qualms, but personally I like the ball joint armor connectors. It's really satisfying to snap them into place, and it's fun to have so many ball joints in the pieces when MoCing.

IetTsFQ.png

WHAT wiggle room!? I have two protectors and NONE of their armor moves even when I TRY to move it.

It does...just a tiny bit though, maybe you don't notice it. It's not enough for the armor to look askew, but it is enough to feel it clicking around when you press on it. It's not something that will bother any new fans, but if you're used to the Inika armor then it might.

IetTsFQ.png

Ugh. GET OVER G1 ALREADY.

I loved it to death but I don't want to see everybody whining about how this was better than that or whatever. Bionicle is back and I intend to fully indulge myself in it just like the previous gen.

So, because G1 is over we can't discuss the pro's and cons of both systems anymore ? Just because someone points out one little bit of criticism on CCBS and prefers something from the older generation over the current, doesn't mean he/she is whining or isn't able to get over it. Things like "how things look" is heavily biased by the way you look at something, so of course people are going to differ in this. To everyone his/hers own taste.

I still like both systems, the old and the new. I can see the benefits and the needs for improvement in both. ( I love the ball joint connection, but I would love to have some axle connection points in the bone pieces, kinda where they are located on hand pieces. ) To me, it's important to respect people's opinion on these matters; everyone is allowed to have his/hers own preference, and allowed to voice it as well. In my book, saying someone can't express their dislike over some parts of CCBS is just as bad as saying CCBS has no positive sides at all.

Anyway, I'm still waiting for the new sets to arrive here in Belgium, normally we'll have them by the end of next week. I'm quite looking forward to these, as I'm interested in some of the new pieces and new colours of shells. My only "fear" is the head-eyestalk thing. I'm not a big fan of the mask-losing mechanisms, and I was a big fan of the old connection style and the newer ones ( Glatorian/HF ). I hope it's something that might "go away" at some point, as I don't really like it that much. Though I can see why they put it in.

-Iben

• Upvote 3

pVcwLHX.png

"Unity, Duty, Destiny."

Yeah, when I'm playing around with my sets I can feel the wiggle in the armor, then I check to make sure it's 100% aligned. It's only a minor annoyance, though.

Honestly G1 armor pieces like Metru, Inika and Piraka thigh armor had about as much "wobble", as did some of the later armor pieces like the thigh armor on Vorox and Skrall. The CCBS shells attach on quite securely and don't shift out of place to a degree that's even noticeable.

Edited by Lyichir
  • Upvote 2

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother