How will you pass your collection on to your kids?

SPIRIT

Assuming you intend to have children some day, have you ever thought about how you will pass along your BIONICLE collection to them?

Do you take them through the storyline?  Do you go in chronological order or in the order things were released?  Do you start reading the books and comics at bedtime?  Do you show them the movies?  Do you just dump a bunch of dismembered sets at their feet and let them figure it out for themselves?

Alternatively, if you have kids and you've already done this, what did you do?  How did it go?

Also, "I'm hoarding them all for myself forever!" will not be accepted as an answer.  We've all seen The Lego Movie.  No one wants to be a President Business.

"Hey Irrie Jr, here's some books and some colorful plastic robots. Have fun." 

In all seriousness, I'm probably going to keep a few of them on a shelf and explain BIONICLE to them whenever they take interest in it. If they look like they would want to learn more, I'd probably sit them down in front of a computer and pull up Biomedia and guide them through MNOG. And after that I'd probably read them some books as well. 

Edited by Irrie
  • Upvote 3

bZpOwEr

I'm definitely not going to force Bionicle onto them, but will certainly try to pique their interest.

With toys back when I was young, and as with Video Games now, I always appreciated and focused on the story a great deal. Small me read through Bionicle books with a fervor and tried to consume as much story content as possible alongside collecting all the set. Little me also played with them and made boatloads of messy, inconsistent MOCs that looked super cool to the eyes of a child.

I'm going to pass on my whole collection to my children in one go, so they'll have everything from the Toa Mata to G2 from the get-go, but I will definitely try and immerse them in the story and lore as well. I still have every G1 book ever released in storage, including all those guides and things like "Rahi Beasts" and "The Dark Hunters" will all the competition-winning canonized MOCs. 

Here's hoping the little ones will be interested in Bionicle.

:kakama:

• Upvote 3

:kakama: Stone rocks :kakama:

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

:smilepohatunu: :smilehuki:

If the books get involved, it'll probably be in the form of encouraging my future kids to read them aloud to me. That's assuming none of the books ever get audiobook versions and text-to-speech technology doesn't cross the uncanny valley between now and then(present day text-to-speech is not something I would subject a child to unless they had severe enough vision problems to necessitate it).

As for the toys, I'm hoping they'll see papa building stuff and want to join in, and that applies to all of my construction toys, not just the Legos.

I fear video games will be a much harder sell for my children since that's something I won't be able to share in their enjoyment barring significant advancements in regenerative medicine or brain-machine interfaces.

Just so you know, I'm blinad

Possibly give them some at the beginning, tell them a brief history about it, and if they get really curious I'll start gradually giving them more and more of collection, because I think if you give them all at once then they might burn out on it quicker and I'll be stuck having to buy new toys :(

Step one: Place all Lego on a high shelf

Step two: Add "Don't Touch these!" signs

Step three: Kragle

No really it's something I don't know how I'd do it. I will probably buy them their own Lego sets instead of giving them my own. I mean it would be crazy to give a six year old several modular buildings right? So they'll have their own stuff and can have my stuff, when I'm dead :)

But as for Bionicle, unless G2 is still running or we have G3 by then; I see no reason to push the story on kids. Maybe I'll give them the old novels I have and show MNOG to them one day but that's about it. It's not really a priority to be honest. More likely I'll just introduce them to whatever Constraction theme Lego is running at the time for their generation and leave it there.

52641688958_d61c0bc049_w(1).jpg.c0871df0de376218d7ca2bc4f409e17d.jpg

All aboard the hype train!

I would probably read the books to my kids before bed, but I'd balance 'em out with other literature, like Percy Jackson or Harry Potter. I'd give them my sets too. :) Who knows, maybe I'd join them during playtime once in a while. I'd probably be on Zamor Sphere recovery duty. :P (All this assuming that they even take any interest, of course.)

96DIFYm.png

A big thank you to Toucan Sam for the Okotian name.

[topic=gallery_115994_378_11223.jpg][/topic]

:vahi: [ON HIATUS]  :vahi: 

I'm not actually having kids. But considering how much of a packrat I am, I'll probably always keep my Bionicles. At least in a box if not on display. But I will demand to my spouse that Kopaka be displayed at all times.

Edited by Kid Icarus

My über-MoC has gotten children interested in Bionicle when I've taken it to class for display purposes. Essentially, "that one's daddy's. But let's see if you can make something cooler." *hands parts box*

• Upvote 1

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

I'd probably just hand my Bionicle collection to my kids the same way I would other legos or other toys; just, "Here's something I think you'll have fun with."  The goes for the comics and movies; obviously I'd make some mention about how, "When I was your age this was my childhood," but really that's all I plan to do.  Nothing special.

• Upvote 2

cheesebanner.jpg.4e180047b2ca502f2c43489af7b439da.jpg

I love the idea of passing it down to my kids and building together. I'm gonna see if they would like to learn the story and if they do, great I'll have it all available. But at the very least I'd like to introduce a love of creativity and building things with them.

• Upvote 2

audio_narration_project_banner_wide.jpg

Bionicle: ANP aims to create narrated versions of all the Bionicle books, with voice actors for each character, and music taken from various media to enhance the story. Check here if you're interested in voicing a character, and here for the chapters that've already been released!

Formerly: Tahu Nuva 3.0

Looking for a Bionicle Beanie. Black one with the symbol on it. Contact me if you are willing to sell

I can see myself as being almost like Turaga Vakama to my children, if I have any. I can imagine that I would memorize certain pieces of the story such as important bits of dialogue or monologues, crucial plot points, and overall themes and just sit with my children as they were laying down to sleep. Then I would tell them the "Tale of the Bionicle" as if it were not from a book or Lego theme, but itself being its own fairy tale like the ones collected in storybooks and told to people's children. I wouldn't force it on them with books or games, I would just tell them fun stories at bedtime or during the day if they really wanted another story. 

"Hey! Hey! Tell the one about how the Toa came together!"

"I've told you that one countless times!"

"Please?"

"Oh, alright. The coast of Mata Nui was splashed with the waters of the great sea-"

"With the intro?"

"Okay then. Gathered friends, listen again to the tale of the Bionicle..."

I would definitely give them lots of parts to build with, and I may give them my sets too, if I'm brave enough to part with them at that point. 

• Upvote 6

t5pQDlO.jpg

:i:   :n:  :a:   :r:   :y:

If they are like me when I was a kid, if I just handed my collection to them I would never see it again. I would still show them the media, though, maybe they'd find something to like.

I would have them on display, only talking about them if they showed interest. If by some miracle Bionicle exist when they are old enough I would but one for them and one for me, if they are interested.

Hey Tahu4.0 there theese thing's I collected when I was a kid *I would give him a Tahu Okoto 2015 disassembled with the first Bionicle novel 2015* if you're interested on the Lego set and story just tell me and we can continue talking of it sometime and maybe build some other sets I have.

That's if I have a son now I have no idea what to do if I have a Gali4.0 maybe I will do the same as I would do if I have a son just change the Tahu set to a Gali 2015 set.

I'm just a simple man, trying to make my way in the Matoran Universe

It's not quite the same, but to introduce my little brother to all things G1 I sat him in front of MNOG and he just went to work. It was a great segway into MNOG2, the comics, and Mask of Light. Not only was this a great way for him to start on his Bionicle journey, but it proved to be a fun refresher for me too! I think MNOG would be a great point of introduction for any new fan, maybe aged 8 and up. 

• Upvote 3

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnaHFstqCK97bHNwpwztn_Q

Check out my YouTube channel for LEGO, YuGiOh and Pokemon videos!

I already have it planed.

When they ask for a bedtime story I'll give them a tale from Bionicle.

Then when there old enough I'll get them a set.

Because when we have kids Bionicle well probably be in starting G3.

(I was given a green Rahkshi as my first Bionicle.

This why Rahkshi have a special place in my heart.)

Hey I got a Flickr because I like making LEGO stuff.

https://www.flickr.com/people/toatimelord/

I really have no idea what I'd do with my sets and pieces if I have kids or when I pass on.  I've always wondered about that.

It is not for us to decide the fate of angels.

Dominus Temporis, if you're out there, hit me up through one of my contacts.  I've been hoping to get back in touch for a long time now.  (Don't worry, I'm not gonna beg you to bring back MLWTB or something.  :P )

At 23 I'm still a little reluctant to have children anytime soon and I'll probably be pretty reluctant to "pass on" my collection too. For the past couple of years, I've been actively completing and perfecting it. I would love to share it with my future children but in all honesty, I don't think children can appreciate a "collection" per se. I know I certainly didn't when I was a kid.

So I'll probably buy them all the sets they want for themselves and let them play with them as they please but only pass on my BIONICLE collection to them once they're old enough to appreciate it as much as I do.

• Upvote 2