BZPRPG News and Discussion

Nuju Metru

@ Toatapio: so you feel that, yes, players need to have a certain finesse to play a matoran villain, or just a matoran in general?  Interesting.  What do others think?? (Totally wanting to set up a conversation on why we play a certain race, and what limits we put on that race.)

Matoran are an interesting type to play; every other species that is permitted has its strengths, and its weaknesses. Toa are the most versatile, with the highest capacity for useful abilities. Skakdi have higher raw physical power, as well as decent Vision powers, and the ability to use advanced tech. Vortixx tend to be less physically strong, but more nimble, with foreign equipment to level the playing field. Lesterin have a multitude of possible tricks to keep them on an even playing field.

Matoran, and to a lesser degree, Turaga, do not have these tricks. They have no edge, they have no abilities that the other species lack. They are a normal in a world full of supers. Which is why, for the most part, people treat them as less of a threat. 

Their use most certainly does require more thought. However, they're not nearly so weak as people expect; their lessened height can actually make combating them more difficult, because they aren't in the normal area of attack for a fighter. Their smaller size presents a smaller target. With the right planning, a Matoran can take on many foes and stand a chance. Is it difficult? Extremely. But that's why it's fun.

From a writing perspective, they also offer a very different perspective. I could go one for ages about this one, but I write enough of it for most to see my point. :P

That's pretty heightist bro.

Watch it, Grochi. I'll get you for that. 

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

Breaking Point: An OTC Mecha RPG

I was having a similar problem when I first arrived in Ta-Koro, since most of the characters were dealing with the aftermath of the Piraka attack and destruction of the Lavapool Inn, so I just started making up things for Verulas to do while waiting. Fighting off three thugs in a back alley somewhere was definitely better than sitting on my character and waiting for something to do.

Epics: 

Hero Factory: Contagion

RPG Characters:

BZPRPG Characters

RPG History:

The Asylum, Bionifight Infinite, Year 60,000, Matoran und Panzer, HF RPG 2.0, Wasteland, Corpus Rahkshi, Skyrise

GM Résumé:

Matoran und Panzer (Formerly Appointed Co-GM), Corpus Rahkshi (Former Substitute Co-GM)

Feel free to shoot a PM my way if you're waiting for me to respond to something and I've been taking a while to do so.

I had the same problem in Ta-Koro.

I just wandered around for a bit and made a post about talking to an NPC guard. The next thing I knew, I was interacting with Nuju Metru via Grokk. You really do never know who you might end up running into.

Embers - A Bionicle Saga - Chapters/Review

Class Is Out - A Farewell To Corpus Rahkshi - Chapters/Review

BZPRPG Characters - Minnorak, Kain, T'harrak, Savis, Vazaria, Lash

BZPRPG Mercenary Group - The Outsiders - Description - History - Base

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

I have a few questions

1. I'm not very good at roleplaying but I'm not bad either, I can write at least two sentences when describing a situation or actions and I'm fairly descriptive in my writing but I can't match the skill of professional roleplayers, are there topics where I can join other roleplayers that are at what people consider the intermediate level of roleplaying
  2. I want to act as a wild Tarakava that terrorises Ga-Matoran on the beach, are members allowed to play as non sapient creatures like rahi or kraata? 
  3. Do you allow pet rahi as companions?
  4. Can players choose to act as villains like the dark hunters?
  5. I know that there are certain kanohi allowed but can players have a kanohi in the shape of another or share features from another ? Examples: A kanohi Hau with an eyepiece found on the kanohi Akaku or a kanohi Kaukau in the form of a kanohi Pakrai? 

1. None of us are "professionals," and there's no shame in a short post (oftentimes, shorter is sweeter!). We all play on the same field, here, so feel free to start anywhere! Ko-Koro is jumpin' right now - there's a battle on! - and Ta-Koro is usually a pretty good place to find interaction.

2. You're allowed to employ NPC (non-player characters) including Rahi and Rahkshi in your posts (this is usually done to give your real characters some kind of obstacle), but you can't really directly play as them and say, attack someone else's characters.

3. Yeah, as long as they're not ridiculously large, wild or lethal; if you've got a specific Rahi in mind you can PM me to check if it'd be okay.

4. It's totally acceptable to play as a villain or mercenary; just remember that the actual Dark Hunters organization doesn't exist (as far as we know) in the BZPRPG.

5. That's allowed, yeah.

• Upvote 3

test2.png

Point five brings up an interesting question!  

If masks of one shape can be of a different power, would it then be meta-gaming to, say, have my PC know the mask power of the opponent?  For example (and entirely constructed for this moment), say A sees B wearing a Pakari in the shape of a hau.  A would have to plan and react to B as if they were wearing a hau, not a pakari, until the true power was revealed, correct?  In which case wouldn't the best thing be to never assume a mask is what it looks like?

Point five brings up an interesting question!  

If masks of one shape can be of a different power, would it then be meta-gaming to, say, have my PC know the mask power of the opponent?  For example (and entirely constructed for this moment), say A sees B wearing a Pakari in the shape of a hau.  A would have to plan and react to B as if they were wearing a hau, not a pakari, until the true power was revealed, correct?  In which case wouldn't the best thing be to never assume a mask is what it looks like?

Yes and no.

Yes, they would have to operate under the assumption that it was a Hau, until otherwise demonstrated. However, the last point isn't quite right; though I don't have the statistic on PCs, it is probably that masks shaped like other masks are a minority of overall masks. Thus, from an IC standpoint, it would be best to assume that they have the correct shape, while acknowledging the possibility that they don't.

In short, if the mask is shaped correctly, it is not metagaming for a character to guess at it. If it is shaped differently, then yes, it would be metagaming.

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

The way I recall it, it was disallowed to have Matoran wear powerless versions of illegal masks, the shapes themselves weren't the problem, but the potential circumvention of rules that these Matoran ever transforming into Toa could cause.

• Upvote 3

BZPRPG Profiles

Nuparu-Ferron-Mar-Zelvin-Wiremu-Farzan-Mako-Krex-Tamachan-???

Akiri Nuparu Posts:

1. 2. ...

I just thought about this. So since your mask could be a different power and shape, could you have a legal mask(Hau, for example) in the shape of an illegal(Komau or even Ignika)? I'm assuming no for the Ignika/other legendary masks, but I'm just really curious about this.

No, you could not. The exact reasoning wasn't entirely clear, though I believe Gear has it mostly right, but I remember the ruling quite clearly.

fK5oqYf.jpg

The way I recall it, it was disallowed to have Matoran wear powerless versions of illegal masks, the shapes themselves weren't the problem, but the potential circumvention of rules that these Matoran ever transforming into Toa could cause.

I was mostly thinking about Toa and other beings that could actually use the mask, not just wear it but I got it now.

Edited by Watcher on the Walls

There are some minor exceptions, such as Dasaka wearing masks shaped like the Matatu, or the numerous canon Matoran with that wore powerless Komaus. On that second point, in the BZPRPG, said Matoran's masks are not Komaus, but are still shaped like the Noble version of that mask.

Edited by Twelfth Ghosthands

sig_panel_bzprpg.pngsig_panel_profiles.pngsig_panel_flickr.pngsig_panel_steam.pngsig_panel_n7.png

There is a rule against having powerless versions of illegal masks, because the possibility exists that they might one day become powered.

There is no rule against having masks, powerless or otherwise, that are shaped like illegal masks but are not illegal in terms of power. There are plenty of characters wandering around wearing legal masks shaped like avohkiis, jutlins, sheleks etc, and that's just fine.

There is potential for some confusion around this when Matoran masks are involved. Canonically, mask powers are determined by the combination of kanoka used in the forging of a mask, and the shape it is carved into just serves as a kind of label. This is how we get characters like Norik, who wore a pehkui in the shape of a kiril. It looked like a kiril, but anyone who saw him use its power would know that it was really a pehkui. In the BZPRPG though, we don't know if our Matoran characters came from Metru Nui where masks were forged this way, so in the absence of power, the masks's shape is the only real identifier for what the mask is. I could say in a profile that a Matoran character wore a pakari in the shape of a hau, but there would be no way for anyone in-game, including the wearer, to know that the mask was in fact a pakari without turning that Matoran into a toa.

To sum up, if a Matoran character were to wear a mask shaped like, say, an olmak, they would need to state in their profile that it was in fact a different mask, but this would have no effect at all on the IC play of that character.

ppg2.png

There is a rule against having powerless versions of illegal masks, because the possibility exists that they might one day become powered.

There is no rule against having masks, powerless or otherwise, that are shaped like illegal masks but are not illegal in terms of power. There are plenty of characters wandering around wearing legal masks shaped like avohkiis, jutlins, sheleks etc, and that's just fine.

There is potential for some confusion around this when Matoran masks are involved. Canonically, mask powers are determined by the combination of kanoka used in the forging of a mask, and the shape it is carved into just serves as a kind of label. This is how we get characters like Norik, who wore a pehkui in the shape of a kiril. It looked like a kiril, but anyone who saw him use its power would know that it was really a pehkui. In the BZPRPG though, we don't know if our Matoran characters came from Metru Nui where masks were forged this way, so in the absence of power, the masks's shape is the only real identifier for what the mask is. I could say in a profile that a Matoran character wore a pakari in the shape of a hau, but there would be no way for anyone in-game, including the wearer, to know that the mask was in fact a pakari without turning that Matoran into a toa.

To sum up, if a Matoran character were to wear a mask shaped like, say, an olmak, they would need to state in their profile that it was in fact a different mask, but this would have no effect at all on the IC play of that character.

This is a good explanation.

Well Matoran's masks don't usually have any powers in the first place, since they couldn't use them even if they did. 

Ah, but they do. Just like a Matoran has dormant Toa powers, a Matoran's 'powerless' mask has a dormant power that is only unlocked on the Matoran's transformation to Toa, upon which it will itself be transformed into a Great mask.

sig_panel_bzprpg.pngsig_panel_profiles.pngsig_panel_flickr.pngsig_panel_steam.pngsig_panel_n7.png

Yep, that's correct. And just to back it up, here's Tuck making a staff-decision on the issue.

Yes, illegal masks do matter to matoran, because if they aren't in existence for toa, how could a non-powered version exist? Ok, so maybe they aren't powered, but in this game who knows? When a matoran undergoes a toa transformation their mask gets powered up as well, and suddenly OOPS! this new toa has the Mask of Intangibility. Or soul-eating. Or whathaveyou. So yes, even matoran should stick with the "approved" mask list.[/color]

OOC: Just to throw this out there, BoA players: please do not auto-kill/auto-hit/otherwise bunny the NPCs. I know this might sound like a cranky request, but if the guards are killed left and right, this will be a very one-sided battle. :P In light of this, I'd like to bring the number of remaining riders to sixteen. If anyone has an serious issues with this, feel free to PM me. :)

To ask a more pressing question, do you have staff-permission to control this army of NPCs? As stated earlier, recurring NPCs like soldiers that follow a PC around are an explicit no-no in the rules. While there would surely be some NPC Ko-Ko-Koronans involved in this battle, they should probably be controlled by someone with the authority to do so, or at least delegated by them so that everyone knows about it.

If you have already gone though staff to get that, then I apologise, but I just have to check whether this whole thing with you controlling the NPCs is legitimate. Either way, please clarify so that we can all move on with the battle knowing where we stand.

EDIT: Double post, whoops. Is there a way to merge those?

Double edit: Done. : )

-Wind-

Edited by -Windrider-
  • Upvote 1

ppg2.png

I believe permission was indeed given by the staff; as neither EW or Visaru is very active, and they're the only people (normally) with permission to do so, it was deemed best to allow for some coordinated NPC response.

I'll verify, however, and edit this post with the verdict.

fK5oqYf.jpg

I believe permission was indeed given by the staff; as neither EW or Visaru is very active, and they're the only people (normally) with permission to do so, it was deemed best to allow for some coordinated NPC response.

I'll verify, however, and edit this post with the verdict.

This is correct.

test2.png

I've been coming up for ideas for a new Skakdi character. I'm thinking it could be a savage Skakdi of Iron, but he is somewhat willing to cooperate and considers himself an ally with anyone else who is a part of the My Little Mahi TM  toy line, but is highly aggressive towards those who talk trash about it. Not very smart but is as dangerous as a living tank. What do you fellows think of this character prompt? Any suggestions?

Edited by Banana Gunz

You can add Karemo and Kohra to the list of antidermised beings, but they were already in the Legacy.

Also, antidermis does not corrupt good beings - it destroys them. Quoting Nuju:

What does that mean? I said something to this end in the Chapter III intro (which can be found in the first post of this topic), but it means that Antidermiseats away good guys (who are unlikely to bring about more destruction), while it gives bad guys (potential instruments for lots and lots of destruction)enhanced abilities that will make them better, faster, stronger. When Antidemis comes into contact with a morally neutral or dependent sentience – a prime example of this being the Abettor, and other examples including Rahkshi and some Rahi – it will corrupt that neutrality towards evil purposes.

An example of this is the Matoran that Echelon tested his antidermis on before injecting himself. The antidermis ate away all of their organic bits to leave them as burnt-out husks in a matter of seconds.

Edited by The Lorax

ppg2.png