BIONICLE Confirmed for 2015

Blimey, wasn't actually expecting it to come back this soon.

As much as I loved the series, I kinda hope that they'll distill the best bits of the franchise and start again with a clean slate. Although given that we were left with a 'brave new world' in 2010, I imagine they could do this whilst still keeping it a continuation.

I think we need to wary of unrealistic expectation though, just sayin'... although get the impression it's waaaay too late for that ;)

• Upvote 1

My question is... will we get comic books again?!  :o

They'll probably relegate to TV episodes... Don't get me wrong! I'd watch the ###### out of those but comics were awesome too.

Hopefully we get a good game to go along with the return as well. Itching to play a good Bionicle game!

-NotS

The animation and model designs in the Hero Factory TV series (which was pretty close to the "Legend Reborn"), but please... don't make it with over-the-top awkward enemies who joke all the time and then call the whole theme more lighthearted, Lego! D:

It's not like he purposely decided to make Bionicle more complicated.

I could be wrong, but last I checked, hamfisting Vezon everywhere was 100% Greg.

On a different note, I'm unsure on this mask's design. On the one hand, it's pretty complicated. On the other hand, it's closer to a 2001-esque mask design than anything from 2006-2008.

Ah yes. That. Vezon's world travelling was probably the second worst idea after the red star explanation, which wasn't just bad for the impact dead characters had, but also took out all the mystery.

Edited by Vorred

wnimDt6.jpg

EXztX3v.jpg

All I have to say is:

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Edit: Screen stretching fixed.

-Wind-

Edited by -Windrider-
  • Upvote 2

To be honest, I'd rather see someone other than Greg write the new Bionicle. While he was okay for the first few years, he had a bunch of stock phrases he repeated,

Well, he is not the only one.  In Bionicle #2: Beware the Bohrok, the phrase "not liking what this might mean" appears in two adjacent paragraphs.  And that was by Cathy Hapka.

On 9/29/2014, Greg Farshtey said:

"Just wanted to say a quick something --

A lot of you guys are BIONICLE fans, many from way back. It's no secret that you are some of the smartest, most loyal, and most dedicated fans out there. You, and you alone, have carried the torch for the line over the last four years. Hopefully, you will feel rewarded for your efforts by 2015 BIONICLE.

Regardless, I wanted to take this opportunity to say that I am really proud to be associated with you, and you should be really proud of yourselves"

Ordinarily, I don't do quotes, but this is special.

Fire Ice Water Stone Earth Air... I mean Jungle.

Bionicle: The Legacy Hero An attempt to put some magic back into Bionicle.

Isn't this technically a leak? Un-officially obtained content, so we can't discuss it?

No. This is an image taken straight from LEGO.com. It may not have been made public yet, but it is fair game as it isn't breaking any NDAs like retailer catalog images or that packaging leak did. Those images were obtained illegally- this one was available to anyone who wanted to search for it. We have posted images from LEGO's cache before.

Interesting to see other sites getting so adamant about BZP's leaked content policy when BZP suddenly scoops them. As if so many other sites define themselves in relation to BZP's policies.

I'm not "other sites" - I was just observing that I thought BZP would clamp down on anything that wasn't explicitly out of Lego with their permission. 

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

To be honest, I'd rather see someone other than Greg write the new Bionicle. While he was okay for the first few years, he had a bunch of stock phrases he repeated,

Well, he is not the only one. In Bionicle #2: Beware the Bohrok, the phrase "not liking what this might mean" appears in two adjacent paragraphs. And that was by Cathy Hapka.

I was even less fond of Hapka. Her writing in general felt a bit flat, IMO.

• Upvote 1

Making brickfilms since 2007.

Check out my latest animations:

, and Avengers Tower!

The first episode of Nuva,

Magnetic Mania, is now live! Check it out!

burning_logo.jpg

My question is... will we get comic books again?!  :o

They'll probably relegate to TV episodes... Don't get me wrong! I'd watch the ###### out of those but comics were awesome too.

Hopefully we get a good game to go along with the return as well. Itching to play a good Bionicle game!

-NotS

As much as I enjoy being a bearer of bad news, it slightly pains me to say that, if comic books were still profitable to LEGO, chances are HF comics wouldn't have petered out the way they did.

From what I've heard, the comics industry in general has been struggling in the digital age (well, besides webcomics, which thrive in it) so I'd say it's much more likely a more successful medium would be employed, like a television show.

I'm not saying comics are completely out of the question, just that, if they were a good marketing strategy, I would think LEGO would still be using them (outside of Lego Magazine one-offs, I mean).

Well, single-issue comics like the old BIONICLE comics might not be the most reliable strategy, but that's not to say we won't see any kind of comics. The LEGO Ninjago graphic novels published by Papercutz have been massively successful, and Papercutz is now also publishing LEGO Legends of Chima graphic novels as well, so it wouldn't surprise me if they started to publish new BIONICLE graphic novels. And I believe at least some of the Ninjago and Legends of Chima graphic novels are basically compilations of single comics that were included in the Ninjago and Legends of Chima magazines released in Europe (yes, believe it or not, some LEGO themes actually have entire magazines of their own in countries like Great Britain and Germany).

I have a much greater respect for Papercutz nowadays than I did when they were merely repackaging the DC Comics BIONICLE comics in graphic novel form. I only own one of the Papercutz BIONICLE graphic novels (#8 Legends of Bara Magna, the only one that consisted solely of new material), and while the paper and printing quality was good, the cover design seemed underwhelming. The Ninjago graphic novels do not all feature original cover art (#3 and #4 just reused art from the Spinjitzu trading cards), but the covers are still all very refined-looking, with art that stretches from top to bottom. Also, illustrator Jolyon Yates has teamed up with Papercutz to create some BRILLIANT LEGO Ninjago posters for events like Comic-Con. Ninjago has been a huge hit for Papercutz and I'm impressed that they appreciate and recognize that. I feel like I could definitely trust them with new BIONICLE comics.

• Upvote 1

This is marvellous. I am browsing through this topic and it is full of people saying 'at last i'm back', or 'i finally returned to BZPower'. The fanbase is reviving, and getting on the hype train, which is now a hype super star destroyer, executor-class.

This is what will happen in 2015:

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=6146539

BEWARE.

Deeplink that because it isn't public.

• Upvote 1

AΨ 94

Well, single-issue comics like the old BIONICLE comics might not be the most reliable strategy, but that's not to say we won't see any kind of comics. The LEGO Ninjago graphic novels published by Papercutz have been massively successful, and Papercutz is now also publishing LEGO Legends of Chima graphic novels as well, so it wouldn't surprise me if they started to publish new BIONICLE graphic novels. And I believe at least some of the Ninjago and Legends of Chima graphic novels are basically compilations of single comics that were included in the Ninjago and Legends of Chima magazines released in Europe (yes, believe it or not, some LEGO themes actually have entire magazines of their own in countries like Great Britain and Germany).

I have a much greater respect for Papercutz nowadays than I did when they were merely repackaging the DC Comics BIONICLE comics in graphic novel form. I only own one of the Papercutz BIONICLE graphic novels (#8 Legends of Bara Magna, the only one that consisted solely of new material), and while the paper and printing quality was good, the cover design seemed underwhelming. The Ninjago graphic novels do not all feature original cover art (#3 and #4 just reused art from the Spinjitzu trading cards), but the covers are still all very refined-looking, with art that stretches from top to bottom. Also, illustrator Jolyon Yates has teamed up with Papercutz to create some BRILLIANT LEGO Ninjago posters for events like Comic-Con. Ninjago has been a huge hit for Papercutz and I'm impressed that they appreciate and recognize that. I feel like I could definitely trust them with new BIONICLE comics.

Graphic novels would be really cool to see. I don't follow Ninjago at all, so I'm unsure of how many graphic novels each year received, but even if we just got one graphic novel for the entire year I think that'd be pretty awesome. If we get comics again I doubt I'll be able to follow them, but I'd definitely be willing to go out of my way to buy a graphic novel.

I just pray it's not a reboot.

For somebody who has so passionately campaigned for the LEGO Group to bring the theme back I'm kind of surprised you'd be so particular about what form you want the new story to take. What would be wrong with a reboot, honestly? It's the best chance the theme might ever have of regaining its former glory and enthralling a new generation of fans.

It's not like a rebooted storyline would be completely foolproof (you'd have to rethink a lot of things up to and including how the big story engine is revealed), but I still can't really fathom why so many people are so vehemently opposed to the idea of a reboot on principle.

I think it might be, partially, at least, that we already know the "big story engine". It's like we've read the final three chapters in a book, then are going back and reading the rest.

Of course, they will probably change some things, at least, so it won't all be new. And I'm looking forward to it, in any eventuality.

edit_2: Oh, I really hope they still make comics. I hadn't actually even considered them not doing them again. Then again... if this whole "LEGO magazine only for those under 13" thing becomes a reality...

**sigh**

In any case, I hope they still make them.

Edited by Kopekemaster
rsz_screenshot_from_un_chien_andalou.jpg
My Writing Blog (more writing coming soon!)

My Bionicle/LEGO Blog (defunct)

Hyfudiar on Spotify (noise/drone/experimental music)

Graphic novels would be really cool to see. I don't follow Ninjago at all, so I'm unsure of how many graphic novels each year received, but even if we just got one graphic novel for the entire year I think that'd be pretty awesome. If we get comics again I doubt I'll be able to follow them, but I'd definitely be willing to go out of my way to buy a graphic novel.

There are typically about three LEGO Ninjago graphic novels released each year (there was one in 2011, four in 2012, and three each for 2013 and 2014). Each one is 64 pages, so they're roughly 2/3 the length of the BIONICLE graphic novels in that respect. Unlike the BIONICLE comics, the Ninjago graphic novels tell stand-alone stories that merely supplement the main story told in the TV series. But they are not "side-stories" in the same sense as many of the BIONICLEstory.com serials or the new stories created for the BIONICLE graphic novels — they still focus on the main characters of the Ninjago franchise, not on secondary characters.

Remember when they shut down the old websites and I said they might be making rooms for a new Bionicle website, and then everyone told me I was crazy?

WHO'S LAUGHING NOW, HUH? ALL ABOARD THE HYPE TRAIN, SO WE CAN RIDE THE HYPE TO PLANET HYPE AND THEN GET HYPED SO MUCH THAT WE ALL HYPE INTO A MASSIVE PILE OF RADIOACTIVE HYPE!!!!1!!!1!!!!

:a: :k: :i:

Waaat? Pfff!

You're STILL crazy!

*BRICK'D*

LEGO HAS LISTENED TO THEIR FANS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

%$&@ YEAH!!!

Speculation: Kanohi Ignika.

I mean, what other Kanohi could it be?

Its obviously going to a major plot thing, or it looks like its going to be, and the only golden legendary kanohi that I know of that could be a cazy Crash Bandicoot/Inca style shape and worth fighting over would be the Ignika (since it changes shape and all).

It feels way too soon to be going right back to the Ignika. Bionicle has only been gone for 4 years. Not counting older, devoted fans, there will still be some crossover in the younger fanbase who would be thinking "they're going after the Mask of Life again?"

I'm still banking on a soft reboot with a brand new story borrowing old characters. It'll make getting into the franchise easy for new kids, and won't feel completely jarring for existing fans (I assume Lego wants to keep their old fans while bringing in new ones at the same time). I'm thinking this is a new mask, with no backstory for people to catch up on. Make it fresh and new for everyone.

Why? It STARTED with the Ignika, why not start with it? Its not like the Ignika is this mysterious thing.

What if the Ignika isn't THE subject (with the heroes thinking that it is) but actually a small componant in a much bigger picture?

I mean, the main objective that the Ignika is done, so baddies wont be going after the kanohi for the same reasons as before.

How bad is it that I literally screamed when I saw this?

My wallet is really going to hate me in a few months though... Dx

Scream louder, didn't hear you.

All I have to say is:

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Edit: Screen stretching fixed.

-Wind-

THATS more like it!

Edited by Tattorack

-I was infected for the most part on April the 1st 7.gifBEWARE

%$&@ YEAH!!!

Its obviously going to a major plot thing, or it looks like its going to be, and the only golden legendary kanohi that I know of that could be a cazy Crash Bandicoot/Inca style shape and worth fighting over would be the Ignika (since it changes shape and all).

It feels way too soon to be going right back to the Ignika. Bionicle has only been gone for 4 years. Not counting older, devoted fans, there will still be some crossover in the younger fanbase who would be thinking "they're going after the Mask of Life again?"

I'm still banking on a soft reboot with a brand new story borrowing old characters. It'll make getting into the franchise easy for new kids, and won't feel completely jarring for existing fans (I assume Lego wants to keep their old fans while bringing in new ones at the same time). I'm thinking this is a new mask, with no backstory for people to catch up on. Make it fresh and new for everyone.

Why? It STARTED with the Ignika, why not start with it? Its not like the Ignika is this mysterious thing.

What if the Ignika isn't THE subject (with the heroes thinking that it is) but actually a small componant in a much bigger picture?

I mean, the main objective that the Ignika is done, so baddies wont be going after the kanohi for the same reasons as before.

What started with the Ignika? I don't understand what you're saying.

On another note, has anyone considered that this mask isn't really that important to the story at all, and is just a Titan-sized set mask or something? Remember how much visibility the Hau used to have? It was just Tahu's mask. I know the Matoran used as a symbol for Mata Nui and all, but in 2001, it was just an easily recognizable Kanohi.

7. Putting all five Piraka in one tank seems like a dangerous idea. What if they start killing each other?

7) Who cares? They're creeps anyway.

-GregF

There are typically about three LEGO Ninjago graphic novels released each year (there was one in 2011, four in 2012, and three each for 2013 and 2014). Each one is 64 pages, so they're roughly 2/3 the length of the BIONICLE graphic novels in that respect. Unlike the BIONICLE comics, the Ninjago graphic novels tell stand-alone stories that merely supplement the main story told in the TV series. But they are not "side-stories" in the same sense as many of the BIONICLEstory.com serials or the new stories created for the BIONICLE graphic novels — they still focus on the main characters of the Ninjago franchise, not on secondary characters.

I would be okay with adopting what Ninjago is doing. Sounds like it could work very well.

-NotS

tahubanner.jpg

%$&@ YEAH!!!

What started with the Ignika? I don't understand what you're saying.

On another note, has anyone considered that this mask isn't really that important to the story at all, and is just a Titan-sized set mask or something? Remember how much visibility the Hau used to have? It was just Tahu's mask. I know the Matoran used as a symbol for Mata Nui and all, but in 2001, it was just an easily recognizable Kanohi.

It's gold, shiny, and mysterious. I'm almost certain it will be important to the story in some way (don't forget, a lot of the Hau's use in the early years was as a symbolic representation of the Great Spirit). As for what it is, I have no idea—but I certainly hope it's not an overpowered mask like the Ignika. While an object of that kind of power can indeed be used well in a story, there are many other ways to make a mask powerful and desirable without setting the initial stakes so high that there's no way to escalate them in future years.

• Upvote 1

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

If there is a new Lewa I'll be happy to get that set other wise I'm holding out hope they get some good writers for this.

At some point you realize that you are but a speck in the Universe.

That you time in this worlds is but a blink.

You see the whole of reality as it unfolds before you.

You try to see how far you can reach, and it’s not that far past your face.

But then you come back from the brink.

You hold them in your arms again.

And you know that you are where their world begins.

You are their rock.

If there is a new Lewa I'll be happy to get that set other wise I'm holding out hope they get some good writers for this.

Speculation based on leaked content removed. -B6 Edited by Black Six

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

LUG Ambassador and administrator at Brickipedia

News reporter and database administrator at Brickset

Administrator at BIONICLEsector01

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

I don't know, are kids into collecting nowadays? When I was a youngster it was, with Pokemon etc. Bionicle moved from collectibles to launchers in 2004 and never turned back. Lego likes to use focus groups, so if collecting isn't a fad now I don't see the mask packs returning.

I'd be interested to see how well the Collectible Minifigures are doing with the younger demographic though. If blind packs are selling well to them, it's a possibility I guess.

The collectible minifigures sell well with just about everyone, I believe. Also, Skylanders are still a huge thing proving that even larger collectibles can work in the same market LEGO is targeting.

I'm not "other sites" - I was just observing that I thought BZP would clamp down on anything that wasn't explicitly out of Lego with their permission.

It's posted on their website, so that seems like it's pretty fair game to me.

Hooray! Bionicle is coming back in 2015! Whop-Hoo! All aboard the Hype Train! Oh, yeah! That new mask and thumbnail could mean that Bionicle will be coming back in 2015! :)

Anyway, the mask looks awesome! It looks like a golden version of a Mask of Scavenging or Brain Attack Breez's helmet with a crown attached to it. The gold color looks beautiful! And also, the background around it looks nice! The back ground also reminds me of the first year of Chima. Anyway, the mask does bring me back the old days of Bionicle. Good times! :)

Anyway,... Bionicle, we are very excitingly glad that you are coming back! You were missed for four years. Long live you, too! :)

Sorry about all this, guys. I was so excited for Bionicle's return that I missed my favorite childhood thing. I hope that it is allowed, isn't it?

Also anyway, hmm..., I wonder what does the gold mask mean? Vultraz returning to be "crowned" as a king or ruler of something, or is it a completely different new mask of a sort or a new form of an old mask? Just asking with theories.

Well, I'm not sure that I can buy new 2015 Bionicle sets because I am a sophomore in college, but I would try, because I always love Bionicle as a fan of it, including buying the sets. :)

Edited by Lenny7092

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

I don't know, are kids into collecting nowadays? When I was a youngster it was, with Pokemon etc. Bionicle moved from collectibles to launchers in 2004 and never turned back. Lego likes to use focus groups, so if collecting isn't a fad now I don't see the mask packs returning.

I'd be interested to see how well the Collectible Minifigures are doing with the younger demographic though. If blind packs are selling well to them, it's a possibility I guess.

The collectible minifigures sell well with just about everyone, I believe. Also, Skylanders are still a huge thing proving that even larger collectibles can work in the same market LEGO is targeting.

Oh, hey, that's an excellent comparison; like Kanohi packs, the Skylanders things have little play value without the main video game (well, sets, in Lego's case), but if they can be successful, then so could mask packs.

Ah, that's right, Skylanders! They've been going strong for a while. And unless I'm mistaken, I think I've seen Disney Infinity blind packs around.

I think the mask packs were a huge part of the draw for me in 2001. I would love for them to go back to it, but I won't get my hopes up.

7. Putting all five Piraka in one tank seems like a dangerous idea. What if they start killing each other?

7) Who cares? They're creeps anyway.

-GregF

This is marvellous. I am browsing through this topic and it is full of people saying 'at last i'm back', or 'i finally returned to BZPower'. The fanbase is reviving, and getting on the hype train, which is now a hype super star destroyer, executor-class.

This is what will happen in 2015:

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=6146539

BEWARE.

Deeplink that because it isn't public.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/skratchR/BIONICLE-artwork/bionicle_2015.png

Err... this?

I'm totes late to this party... But that's only because I hyped so hard that I woke up the next morning with a headache.

As someone who oftentimes has to fight off the good ol' BIONICLE canon with a stick, while simultaneously stealing its treasures (RPG host is a heckuva job), I'm definitely interested to see what angle they take on the toy line's plot. I predict a reboot.

• Upvote 1

test2.png

Oh, hey, that's an excellent comparison; like Kanohi packs, the Skylanders things have little play value without the main video game (well, sets, in Lego's case), but if they can be successful, then so could mask packs.

The Skylanders game is arguably incomplete if you DON'T buy an assortment of alternate characters to go with it, though. And Skylanders are not blind-packaged collectibles—they're expensive toys, but you know exactly what you're getting when you buy a particular figure. Skylanders (and collectible minifigures, for that matter) represent distinctive characters who can be played with in a limited capacity and are packed with personality, not emotionless masks that serve as little more than accessories for other sets. Skylanders are basically all compatible with the current iteration of the game, unlike masks which, story-wise, are meant to go with particular characters (so a person who has Onua and gets a mask pack with only an orange Ruru and a blue Kakama can't really use them for role-play). Finally, for people who have the game (and I would guess that owners of the game make up the majority of Skylanders buyers in the first place), the interactive component means that the figure is much, much more than just a figure. Masks are just masks, and every one is pretty much functionally identical to every other as far as building potential is concerned. So while on the face of it it seems clear that all sorts of collectibles are still marketable, mask packs and collectibles like Skylanders are fundamentally different products on almost every level.

One last note. The early 2000s were some of the peak years for collectibles aimed at kids, thanks to the rise of Pokémon, Yu-Gi-Oh, and other collectible card games based on hit animé properties. But despite this rabid collector mentality, Kanohi packs were not by any means a breakout success on the level of other fads of the era, and successive Bionicle collectible series were marked by declining sales. So I'm skeptical of any sort of comparison being taken as "proof" that mask packs have a better chance these days.

• Upvote 2

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Something that people have neglected to mention to my knowledge...

will this mask be a new spinny

I think I've seen a couple people mention this either in the beginning of this topic or the Official Bionicle 2015 Discussion Topic in the Bionicle Discussion Forum. 

And yes, I would love for this Mask to be a new spinny. It would be even better if it was next years spinny. That would be awesome. B-)

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

Wait, what? It is not posted on their website... if you go to Lego's Product page, there is no Bionicle... you had to dig for that in the database or whatever "IP guessing" black magic was done. 

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

However it was done, I don't care. I'm just glad there's finally something solid to show the lines return. 

I for one though, actually want an entire reboot with no strings attached. The original line's story just became too bloated by the end of it all, and even if it was a sort of timeskip or some copout like that, I just feel like it wouldn't do the previous story's ending any real justice. Even if it was rushed. So yeah, a fresh start that can take a whole new direction in storytelling sounds good to me.

Also, I hope they reuse the Brain Attack heads with the front axles holes. That way we'd have actual masks again instead of helmets.

Edited by Kek
  • Upvote 1
Signature Guidelines: Image size may not exceed 250x100 combined or 468x60 combined.

we shouldn't bother making spinnies or sprites of this mask, because, at the current angle, it's impossible to tell if it has five points or six.  Or if it has something else on the back.

• Upvote 1

On 9/29/2014, Greg Farshtey said:

"Just wanted to say a quick something --

A lot of you guys are BIONICLE fans, many from way back. It's no secret that you are some of the smartest, most loyal, and most dedicated fans out there. You, and you alone, have carried the torch for the line over the last four years. Hopefully, you will feel rewarded for your efforts by 2015 BIONICLE.

Regardless, I wanted to take this opportunity to say that I am really proud to be associated with you, and you should be really proud of yourselves"

Ordinarily, I don't do quotes, but this is special.

Fire Ice Water Stone Earth Air... I mean Jungle.

Bionicle: The Legacy Hero An attempt to put some magic back into Bionicle.