OFFICIAL Bionicle 2015 Topic

Makaru

I love Lewa's mask, but it is certainly the least familiar of the six Masters'. Lewa is also the smoothest Toa I think, and those are the only reasons that I don't recommend him as a first 2015 buy. His gearbox does hinder the head a lot, but I don't think anyone really cares about the mask-flinging function, and the lack of upward movement at his neck is frustrating but not enough to avoid Lewa altogether.

So yeah Dallior if you want Lewa then I say go for it, I just don't recommend him as anyone's first 2015 Toa since he's got the least piston decor and the least familiar mask, which were two big points for the new Bionicle.

IetTsFQ.png

I don't like Lewa's bulky back because it prevents his head from moving back, but that's my only gripe. I love his colors (though I think Dark Green looks nicer, but Bright Green is compatible with Green Lantern's shells) and his proportions, also his mask (even if it's not my favorite). I'd recommend getting any of the $20 sets or Gali first, though, because I think those look best. I love Lewa and Pohatu's sets but I'd say they're a little lesser to the other Toa.

I really like Lewa, and the limited head articulation doesn't bother me nearly as much as it seems to bother a lot of people. There are plenty of flying poses you can put him in where he doesn't need to be looking up (frankly, when flying, it seems to me that looking forward or down would be far more important anyway). And his head has plenty of side-to-side movement. All in all, he has about the same amount of articulation in his head as Mistika Toa Gali and most of the Toa Metru.

Remember, his wings in Adrenalin Mode don't need to be positioned parallel to his body, and thus he doesn't have to fly Superman-style with his body stretched out horizontally like Lewa Nuva or Toa Metru Matau. He works just fine in a flying pose where his body is more vertical or diagonal, like Peter Pan or the Pokémon Hawlucha.

The eye function doesn't work the best, it's true, but to say it doesn't work at all is an exaggeration. I can knock his mask off with Gali's harpoon just fine when it's positioned in a default "resting position", and it's only when the head is tilted back that knocking it off is any harder than with the other Toa. It's certainly a bit tricky to hit the eyepiece using another Toa's gear function (which has as much to do with the shoulder armor as with the gearbox), but this is true with most of the Toa from my experience. That's where the challenge comes in.

In general, I think Lewa is a good buy. He's certainly not my favorite of the Toa (hard to say whether he'd be my least favorite, since my family only has four of the Toa and I have a few issues with the ones we lack, Tahu and Pohatu), but he has a great color scheme and a lot of unique charm. His lanky design allows for all kinds of great poses. Also, I really like his new mask. It fits closer to the face than the classic Miru (making the eyes much more visible) and it retains his confident smile despite the jawline being less rectangular.

• Upvote 3

I must admit I love all the lore that's being kept (I assume) for a later time, like the mask of time, we know it exists but it doesn't look like they're planning to release it anytime soon, but it just makes the world all the more interesting, not to mention all the mystery to Okoto, unlike HF many things are mysterious and unexplained (which IMO makes the world all the more interesting). 

It's time to move on.

I must admit I love all the lore that's being kept (I assume) for a later time, like the mask of time, we know it exists but it doesn't look like they're planning to release it anytime soon, but it just makes the world all the more interesting, not to mention all the mystery to Okoto, unlike HF many things are mysterious and unexplained (which IMO makes the world all the more interesting). 

I just hope they do some world building, like with MNOG, the comics, and the books. Sure, Okoto is a mysterious place, but we haven't seen it all yet.  ;)

http://i.imgur.com/kbP5Svg.gifhttp://i.imgur.com/O8CcqC5.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/kbP5Svg.gif

So I've noticed some noticeable wear on the shoulder balljoints on some of my Toa, especially Onua. Anyone else notice this?

I guess this is just a side-effect of adding a gearbox to a CCBS set.  

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

If we get an Okoto Online Game I will officially and permanently stop using the "L" whenever I reference the Mata Nui or Voya Nui Online Games so I feel more justified running around and spouting "OOG OOG OOG" everywhere.

Also re: Lewa, I'm not a huge fan of the set, mainly because I don't find his weapons to be particularly substantial.  I'm not too bothered by the idea of limited head movement or the mask-flinging getting blocked, though, and the shoulder spike things are pretty neat.  It really depends on what you're looking for in a Toa set, because that's going to vary from person to person.

e:

So I've noticed some noticeable wear on the shoulder balljoints on some of my Toa, especially Onua. Anyone else notice this?

Wear where? (heh)

I'm not sure how the gearbox could be the cause, because if anything it's taking over some of the rotating motion that would otherwise be entirely on the balls and sockets themselves.

Edited by Bfahome
  • Upvote 1

OpAXNpl.jpg

My Kopaka's gear friction has work down considerably, if thats what you mean. Although in my case its an issue with the blue friction pin, which needs to probably be replaced.

In the time before time, the Great Spirit descended from the heavens, carrying with him the ones called the Matoran, to this island paradise. We were separate and without purpose, so the great spirit blessed us with the Three Virtues: Unity, Duty and Destiny. We embraced these gifts and in gratitude named our home Mata Nui, after the great spirit himself.

If we get an Okoto Online Game I will officially and permanently stop using the "L" whenever I reference the Mata Nui or Voya Nui Online Games so I feel more justified running around and spouting "OOG OOG OOG" everywhere.

Also re: Lewa, I'm not a huge fan of the set, mainly because I don't find his weapons to be particularly substantial.  I'm not too bothered by the idea of limited head movement or the mask-flinging getting blocked, though, and the shoulder spike things are pretty neat.  It really depends on what you're looking for in a Toa set, because that's going to vary from person to person.

e:

Wear where? (heh)

I'm not sure how the gearbox could be the cause, because if anything it's taking over some of the rotating motion that would otherwise be entirely on the balls and sockets themselves.

I took apart the Toa and I saw that some of those ball pieces you put into the arm sockets and stuff, had a ring of scuffage around them.

Edited by Chasm

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

Do you know which ones they were from?  You mention one from Onua, and Onua is the one Toa to use a ball-and-socket joint as the friction joint.  It seem like that one is far more susceptible to wear than any others, because the only wear the others should get is where they would rub against the gearbox, or a piece attached to the gearbox.

OpAXNpl.jpg

Do you know which ones they were from?  You mention one from Onua, and Onua is the one Toa to use a ball-and-socket joint as the friction joint.  It seem like that one is far more susceptible to wear than any others, because the only wear the others should get is where they would rub against the gearbox, or a piece attached to the gearbox.

Yeah, you can see the wear on Onua's ball pieces the most. The others are from Kopaka and Lewa I think.

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

I think the only one that can be attributed to the gearbox setup is Onua's friction ball, because it's specifically meant to spin when the gears are turned.  I don't see how the others could be affected by the function directly, and I think it's more likely that they were scuffed by nor lam movement of the arm (rotating the socket around the ball rather than rotating the arm via the gears).

Though if someone can think of a plausible explanation then I'm all ears, because now I'm curious if there might in fact be something about the gearboxes or the new setup that could cause this to happen.

Edited by Bfahome

OpAXNpl.jpg

I noticed it with my Tahu. Yeah, it's a flaw.

cringe

Anyone else having a problem with Onua's gear system? Sometimes it gets locked up when turning the knob and wont move. I think its because theres so much friction due to the ball joint being used for friction.

It hasn't completely stopped on me, but it's pretty tough trying to twist the knob. Edited by BZPower.com

I just hope they do some world building, like with MNOG, the comics, and the books. Sure, Okoto is a mysterious place, but we haven't seen it all yet.  ;)

If memory serves, they said they plan to do books at NYCC, so my guess is there'll be a decent amount of world-building when those roll around.

...That said, ten points to the author if they actually manage to pull off a full book without ever giving the Protectors names. :P

Hey: I'm not very active around BZP right now.  However, you can always contact me through PM (I have email notifications set up) and I will reply as soon as I can.

Useful Topics: The Q&A Compendium | The Official RPG Planning Topic
Stories: Fractures | An Aftermath | Three Stories | LSO 2012 Epics: Team Three | The Shadow and the Sea | The Days They Were Needed | Glitches | Transformations | Echoes | The Kaita and the Storyteller | Nui

BZPRPG: Komae · Soraya · Bohrei

Blog: Defendant Lobby no. 42

I know there hasn't been much talk about the books that are to be released, but I've been thinking about it recently. Do you think the books will be released only in print, only on eBook platforms (like iBooks, etc.), or both?

If it's up to me, I would go with either only eBook platforms or both, especially because of the target audience for the online animations, which do look great if not somewhat better on smaller screens.

http://i.imgur.com/kbP5Svg.gifhttp://i.imgur.com/O8CcqC5.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/kbP5Svg.gif

I know there hasn't been much talk about the books that are to be released, but I've been thinking about it recently. Do you think the books will be released only in print, only on eBook platforms (like iBooks, etc.), or both?

If it's up to me, I would go with either only eBook platforms or both, especially because of the target audience for the online animations, which do look great if not somewhat better on smaller screens.

I think Lego is most likely going to release the books in digital format, seeing as that they are trying to reach kids who use (and often own) tablets every day.

LOOK! OFFICIAL STOP-MOTION BIONICLE SHORTS FROM LEGO!!!

Stone Guys

Jungle Guys

Ice Guys

Earth Guys

Water Girls

Fire Guys

Edited by SuperGeniusCreator
  • Upvote 2

The artist formerly known as

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

BBC#69 Entry: Roodaka - Master of Manipulation

BFTGM entries: Zigben · Ventox · Deflecto

Hail Denmark.

Cool. A little bit of slapstick and LEGO comedy to advertise the combiners. Though I'm sure everyone will start making a noise after the Gali video...

Edited by Regitnui

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

So, once the Toa get their golden masks, what are they going to do with their regular masks? Give them to the Protectors? Can the Protectors wear Toa masks, and if so, can they access their powers? That stop-motion promoting the Tahu + PoF combiner seems to imply that the Protectors can at least wear even the golden masks, but those are obviously non-canon so what do you think? I think it would be cool if next year's villagers were wearing the Toa's previous masks. (By then the Toa will have gotten their "Nuva" upgrade...). Kind of like the Voyatoran wearing the Toa Metru masks.

The artist formerly known as

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

BBC#69 Entry: Roodaka - Master of Manipulation

BFTGM entries: Zigben · Ventox · Deflecto

Hail Denmark.