worst bionicle mask

bohrokman

The noble Mahiki looked too much like an actual face and it was ugly. I didn't like most of the great versions of the turaga's kanohi since they had little to no resemblance to their noble counterparts, which was the same problem I had with the kanohi Nuva. The Great Mahiki was the best toa Metru mask to me since it didn't use the ugly mouth found on the 2001 kanohi. After that, I was just indifferent to every other kanohi mask beyond 2004.

Edit: Forgot to add that I liked the Great Mahiki the most out of all the 2004 masks.

Edited by Lewa the Soaring Champion

If you like Pingu & want to support a good project, click here. Also, I've rejoined the BZPRPG & I have a new profile for a new game. Click here to see it.

The noble Mahiki looked too much like an actual face and it was ugly. I didn't like the great versions of the turaga's kanohi since they had little to no resemblance to their noble counterparts, which was the same problem I had with the kanohi Nuva. After that, I was just indifferent to every other kanohi mask beyond 2004.

The Noble Mahiki was ugly, according to you, but you didn't like the version that had little resemblance? :dazed:

g1: kakama nuva, sanok, arthron, mask of scavenging, and i guess if this counts, mask of elemental energy

g2: honestly, i like just about all of them except for probably the skull spider mask, i dunno i can't really get behind what's basically the shelek with awkward bar connectors or whatever sticking out, i know it's to build a skull spider but as an actual mask ehhhhhhhhhhh skull slicer would've looked waaay better with a different mask

Geewun: Av-Matoran masks (Noble Kakama, Noble Miru, Noble Akaku) - they didn't look anything like the original masks

i dunno about you but i excuse their difference sorta based on how different the toa metru's masks were compared to the noble versions

i mean the great matatu and its noble counterpart look absolutely nothing alike, but hey i guess you're a little right cause the akaku is the mask of vision and the fact the noble version has no scope is super weird, then again aren't noble masks supposed to be weaker in power compared to greats?

~ diabolical ~

Noble Mahiki. That thing is an abomination.

My favorite, however, is the Kakama Solek's mask

sorry meso

For the record, Meso, isn't even here anymore, same goes for Eljay, Var (aka mister private account), or Takuma. pretty much NON of them use BZPower, because they're too engrossed in the abomination that is their message boards. Nontheless. I do actually like soleks mask, infact i like all of the noble masks introduced in 2008, just not the phantoka, or mistika (I'm looking at you Kopaka, Tahu, and Gali)

Off topic, but you need to let that TTV stuff go, man. No place for it on this board or anywhere on BZPower.

Um.... I hate..... that weird version of the Ignika. (phew, got back on topic.)

Noble Mahiki. That thing is an abomination.

My favorite, however, is the Kakama Solek's mask

sorry meso

For the record, Meso, isn't even here anymore, same goes for Eljay, Var (aka mister private account), or Takuma. pretty much NON of them use BZPower, because they're too engrossed in the abomination that is their message boards. Nontheless. I do actually like soleks mask, infact i like all of the noble masks introduced in 2008, just not the phantoka, or mistika (I'm looking at you Kopaka, Tahu, and Gali)

There is a time and place for this.

That time is not now and that place is not here. 

s-Sad-kitten.jpg

Ugh, alright.

• Upvote 1

Quote: "Love has no fear, and no vengeance." |

:t: :m_o: :a: :i: :m: :r: :u: :k: :i: :i: | mEaHKlH.pngAndekas

pure_muscle.png

All of the Kanohi Nuva and the Inika's Kanohi are really ugly and really don't mesh with Bionicle's design language at all. Same goes for Vultraz's mask, although that's not nearly as bad as the Kanohi Nuva.

However, I really like the Adaptive Kaukau Nuva quite a lot. It just doesn't suit Gali.

Edited by Logan McOwen

Lets see. I dislike Turaga Matau's mask, Kongu Inika's mask, both Gali Nuva masks, and some of the masks from the Ignition Trilogy comics and graphic novels. I love the rest of them, especially the Kakama Nuva, Arthron, pre-Inika Kanohi Ignika, and last but not least the Hau (wrote those ones out specifically because they seem to have gotten some hate :P).

The Akaku Nuva.  All of the Nuva masks had the strange blobby look, but the Akaku Nuva tried to combine the blobby look with the mechanical look of the eyepiece, which I don't think worked at all.

Really? i rather like the Akaku Nuva, mainly because it's the Nuva mask that looks the most like its original form.

But my worst masks would be the Olisi and the open-faced Bara Magna masks. My reason with the Olisi is it could give some kids nightmares, and my second reason is Lego was trying to push the stupid Glatorian head by making a ton of the masks have open-faces which was ridiculously ugly and made them feel more like helmets.

You don't get it, they were helmets.

What about the Skrall? and Strakk?

What about them? Helmets can cover the face or have face plates too y'know. Look at these historical examples: Gothic Knight Helmet. Great Helm. Romano-Gallic Royal Helmet. Cumanian and Turkic stuff. The Works. I even made a more realistic version of a skrall helmet.

• Upvote 1

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

We are all but grey specks in a dark complex before a single white light

Looks-wise: Kaukau Mistika, Hau Mistika, G1 Miru, G2 Miru, the Noble Mahiki, the Noble Komau, the Great Komau, and the Garai. And I guess I'll add the Vahi (especially the movie version--although the movies really botched most of the Kanohi--and everything else).

Oh, I forgot about the Garai. Man, it's hideous.

Here's a list of the masks I believe to have the worst

Zatth: A mask that doesn't let you choose what to summon, how to control it or even send away what you summon? That sounds like a pretty bad power to have.

Huna: What good is a mask that casts your shadow when you turn invisible? That defeats the whole purpose of using it and I don't think even a great Huna solved this problem. It is also an inferior version of the Volitak, which hides your shadow AND makes you quieter.

Miru: While it doesn't have a bad design and the power itself is useful, it's just a weaker version of the Kadin.

On a side note, does no one find it odd that Whenua wears a mask of night vision, when he already has that ability?

If you like Pingu & want to support a good project, click here. Also, I've rejoined the BZPRPG & I have a new profile for a new game. Click here to see it.

But if I absolutely had to pick, probably the Hau because it looks kind of bland to me.

Treason of the highest lowest highest lowest order.  :P

Fixed.

Fixed.

Fixed.

I think that this is getting a bit off topic.

(Noble Kakama Noble Miru, Noble Akaku) - they didn't look anything like the original masks

I agree with you on Miru and Akaku, but the Noble Kakama looks like great Kakama.

Edited by Dragon11603

I had no idea there was so much vitriol for the original Nuva masks. I quite liked them, for the most part.

Anyways, probably Hewkii Mahri's mask. I really wasn't big on any of the Mahri masks, other than Jaller's and Hahli's. Or the Inika masks, now that I think about it. Only ones I liked from those were Nuparu's and Matoro's. But Hewkii Mahri's takes the cake IMO.

rahkshi_symbol.png

Also, its original name, "Mask of Vulture", was plum terrible.

;_; my Vulture mask... (Actually, I -did- name it that, specifically because of Vultraz. However, yes the change of the name is quite acceptable, given its canon status. You still can't force me to call it MoS however.)

If we're going on appearance, I'm going to air it out a bit here. Ever since the Toa Nuva were introduced in G1, the Pakari Nuva. Now THAT is an ugly mask. Quite the 180 from what we think of a mask of strength to me.

If we're talking powers, honestly the biggest letdown is probably the Sanok, Mask of Accuracy. Seriously, you get the ability to be more accurate. Ooooo such a good mask /s. And what do they do? Give it to the one Toa who actually had more accuracy as a Matoran than half the village combined, Hewkii. And on top of that, it's supposed to also turn anything into a projectile weapon. How often is this used? Barely, if at all. Such a huge waste. I'm glad he ended up with the Garai later on, worked out much better for him.

• Upvote 1

bzpsig2015.png

Looks-wise: Kaukau Mistika, Hau Mistika, G1 Miru, G2 Miru, the Noble Mahiki, the Noble Komau, the Great Komau, and the Garai. And I guess I'll add the Vahi (especially the movie version--although the movies really botched most of the Kanohi--and everything else).

Oh, I forgot about the Garai. Man, it's hideous.

But it's the mask of gravity!  :o

elemental masks confirmed in G1.

• Upvote 1

Quote: "Love has no fear, and no vengeance." |

:t: :m_o: :a: :i: :m: :r: :u: :k: :i: :i: | mEaHKlH.pngAndekas

pure_muscle.png

I had no idea there was so much vitriol for the original Nuva masks. I quite liked them, for the most part.

Anyways, probably Hewkii Mahri's mask. I really wasn't big on any of the Mahri masks, other than Jaller's and Hahli's. Or the Inika masks, now that I think about it. Only ones I liked from those were Nuparu's and Matoro's. But Hewkii Mahri's takes the cake IMO.

The Kanohi Garai wasn't even a mask: it was a helmet! A helmet being called a mask? Now that is treason of the highest order!

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

Honestly, I dislike most of the masks past 2004 for being just to detailed. They're so covered in greebles and fins and weirdness that if you put one next to one of the original 12, you'd be hard pressed to find someone who believed they were supposed to be from the same toyline. The early masks had a wonderful simplicity to them that the later masks lacked.

Specifically, though, I'd probably say one of the Mistika masks, probably Gali's. They not only had the late design aesthetic of greebles and stuff, they were supposed to be forms of previously established masks that looked nothing like them.

The Ignika deserves a mention, not because it was especially terrible or anything, but because it was such an important mask, and it ended up with the same baffling overdetailing all masks got.

• Upvote 1

Wow, lots of interesting points here. For me, besides the Calix I mentioned earlier, I don't quite like the Mahri masks because to me, that's not even what they probably look like since they were adapted to be aquatic.

audio_narration_project_banner_wide.jpg

Bionicle: ANP aims to create narrated versions of all the Bionicle books, with voice actors for each character, and music taken from various media to enhance the story. Check here if you're interested in voicing a character, and here for the chapters that've already been released!

Formerly: Tahu Nuva 3.0

Looking for a Bionicle Beanie. Black one with the symbol on it. Contact me if you are willing to sell

Honestly, I dislike most of the masks past 2004 for being just to detailed. They're so covered in greebles and fins and weirdness that if you put one next to one of the original 12, you'd be hard pressed to find someone who believed they were supposed to be from the same toyline. The early masks had a wonderful simplicity to them that the later masks lacked.

Specifically, though, I'd probably say one of the Mistika masks, probably Gali's. They not only had the late design aesthetic of greebles and stuff, they were supposed to be forms of previously established masks that looked nothing like them.

The Ignika deserves a mention, not because it was especially terrible or anything, but because it was such an important mask, and it ended up with the same baffling overdetailing all masks got.

I never had a problem with the more detailed masks of later years because if anything, they were only unifying the look of the masks with the more detailed look that was already typical for other Bionicle parts. To be honest, many of the organic curves on some of the original Kanohi (and ESPECIALLY the Kanohi Nuva) stuck out like a sore thumb even on the figures they were designed for.

That's part of why I can't hate the 2008 Kanohi Nuva as much as some other fans. While it's true that most of them hardly resembled their original forms, and many of them did have odd design choices, I'd still consider most of them better-looking than the bulbous and grotesque originals.

• Upvote 1

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Here's a list of the masks I believe to have the worst

Zatth: A mask that doesn't let you choose what to summon, how to control it or even send away what you summon? That sounds like a pretty bad power to have.

Huna: What good is a mask that casts your shadow when you turn invisible? That defeats the whole purpose of using it and I don't think even a great Huna solved this problem. It is also an inferior version of the Volitak, which hides your shadow AND makes you quieter.

Miru: While it doesn't have a bad design and the power itself is useful, it's just a weaker version of the Kadin.

On a side note, does no one find it odd that Whenua wears a mask of night vision, when he already has that ability?

He has a mild ability of night vision, the mask absolutely enhanced it.

And the Zatth is helpful in a pinch when you need to make a getaway. Suppose you're surrounded by vengeful Skakdi and you could use a living distraction?

For the record, the Ruru also had limited X-Ray vision as well (which makes its relationship with the Akaku a better example for the Kadin/Miru argument, since most people tend to forget that flight and levitation are indeed not the same thing), and the Volitak doesn't render its user 100% invisible, either, making it more useful for infiltration where as the Huna is better suited for quick escapes (see Vakama vs. Teridax in B2: LoMN).

As far as the actual topic is concerned, I try not to judge masks unless I actually own one of them, and the ones I do end up growing on me eventually anyway.

Epics: 

Hero Factory: Contagion

RPG Characters:

BZPRPG Characters

RPG History:

The Asylum, Bionifight Infinite, Year 60,000, Matoran und Panzer, HF RPG 2.0, Wasteland, Corpus Rahkshi, Skyrise

GM Résumé:

Matoran und Panzer (Formerly Appointed Co-GM), Corpus Rahkshi (Former Substitute Co-GM)

Feel free to shoot a PM my way if you're waiting for me to respond to something and I've been taking a while to do so.

I think most people don't like the Noble Komau and Mahiki because they feel a bit too "human." That said, they're two of my favorites.

If we're talking power, the Volitak is pretty much a weaker version of the Huna.

If we're talking looks, I like 'em all.

Actually, the Huna makes you completely invisible, while the Volitak makes you semi-invisible but also makes you completely silent, and unless I'm mistaken you also don't cast a shadow.

• Upvote 1

bzpower selfmoc smiley.gif

Surprised it's not a popular answer (power-wise): the Kanohi Mohtrek.

That thing just doesn't make any sense. At. All.

So, Greg bans time travel, because time travel easily breaks stories unless you invent more stuff to fix paradoxes (eg. allow established events to be changed, in effect requiring an extra time dimension for that change to take place over; or invent parallel universes for each timeline alteration etc.).

But then they give an unimportant Makuta a mask with the power to summon its past selves to assist it... A time travel power. What?

And what happens if a past self dies while summoned? Greg tries to fix the paradox by saying that the individual ceases to have ever existed or something, but now you have the exploit of being able to wipe a character from existence by forcing them to use the mask to summon a past self, which you then kill. Do that to, say, Teridax and practically the entire timeline we know is erased.

And don't get me started on the paradoxes associated with the thing about past selves retaining their injuries when they return to the past. You could scratch the future lottery numbers into your past self's skin, then send them back. Or what if you died in the past because the injuries sustained when pulled to the future weakened you the small amount needed for a sword to hit you that you could otherwise have dodged?

PARADOXES. STOP.

• Upvote 3
:v: :m_o: :t: :u: :k: :m_o:

Surprised it's not a popular answer (power-wise): the Kanohi Mohtrek.

That thing just doesn't make any sense. At. All.

So, Greg bans time travel, because time travel easily breaks stories unless you invent more stuff to fix paradoxes (eg. allow established events to be changed, in effect requiring an extra time dimension for that change to take place over; or invent parallel universes for each timeline alteration etc.).

But then they give an unimportant Makuta a mask with the power to summon its past selves to assist it... A time travel power. What?

And what happens if a past self dies while summoned? Greg tries to fix the paradox by saying that the individual ceases to have ever existed or something, but now you have the exploit of being able to wipe a character from existence by forcing them to use the mask to summon a past self, which you then kill. Do that to, say, Teridax and practically the entire timeline we know is erased.

And don't get me started on the paradoxes associated with the thing about past selves retaining their injuries when they return to the past. You could scratch the future lottery numbers into your past self's skin, then send them back. Or what if you died in the past because the injuries sustained when pulled to the future weakened you the small amount needed for a sword to hit you that you could otherwise have dodged?

PARADOXES. STOP.

That is exactly why i LOVE the mohtrek, for example: an average fight with makuta Bitil.

• Upvote 1

bnnrimg1.pngbnnrimg2.pngbnnrimg3.pngbnnrimg4.pngbnnrimg5.pngbnnrimg8.png

Ugh. I think the Mohtrek is just headache-inducing. I always wondered why Bitil would even use the thing, if it meant risking his existence over losing a battle.

Excluding powers, I'm going with the Mistika mask of water breathing. I own it, and I shove the goshdarn thing as deep in my cabinet as I can every time I make MOCs. It looks absolutely terrible. The same can be said for the Mistika Hau - to me, it looks like the end result of an Egyptian pharaoh dressing his pet dog up after taping a grill over its mouth.

... Don't question my imagery.

wake_up_sheeple.png

I was never a fan of Axonn's mask. It is just ugly.

I love that mask. I just wish the mouth area was done differently, it reminds me too much of Transformers.

How is it not a mask?

It fitted over the top of the head, while leaving the mouth area bare. He has a ray (animal) helmet with little Captain America eye protectors with no goggles.

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

How is it not a mask?

It fitted over the top of the head, while leaving the mouth area bare. He has a ray (animal) helmet with little Captain America eye protectors with no goggles.

Fitting over the top of the head is what e.g. most Halloween masks do, but they're not called helmets.  And not all masks cover the mouth.

I've noticed that people's definition of "mask" can get extremely warped by BIONICLE.  Peg-in-mouth was such a universal mask connection system for so long that anything else is classified as a "helmet", despite the fact that the definition of masks is much broader than that.

• Upvote 1

OpAXNpl.jpg