Bionicle Websites to be Shut Down

We received for today from LEGO Digital Experience Manager and BZPower Administrator Kelly (aka Binkmeister) that both BIONICLE.com and BIONICLEstory.com will be taken offline in a couple of weeks. They're running on some older, outdated technology, and my guess is they are choosing to shut them down rather than spend the time and money to update them, which is understandable. If there's anything you want to save off the sites, now's the time to do it. Thanks Bink for giving us the heads up!View the full article

Well that's the final nail in the coffin.

RIP Bionicle. I'll be waiting for your return.

-Lewa Krom

Edit: Also - and this message is directed at Lego - I'm still waiting. Until you bring back Bionicle, I'll continue not purchasing your products.

Edited by Lewa Krom
  • Upvote 1

Keep in mind that if Star Trek fans had, as a group, said, "No point in talking about this anymore, it's never going to come back," it never WOULD have come back.
-- Greg Farshtey

And so an era ends. I'm assuming that all the games/serials/videos etc. will be saved somewhere else, correct?

Three great comedies at one low, low price....NOTHING!

Three late-middle age matoran think of something they want to do before they kick the bucket.

Choose Your Own Bionicle Adventure (archived)

Navigate your way through a myriad of meaningless choices as you try to not make a fool of yourself in perhaps the only comedy ever written almost entirely in spoiler tags.

Useless BZP Junk that you Must Have!!!

Get to your phone, whip out your credit card, and prepare to buy some useless BZPower related junk that has no benefit on society except that you want it!!!

joehalobanner.jpg

Dangit, I just cleared my caches... ._.

Someone better make copies of the sites, or I'll be very depressed... :(

(Then again, the Bionicle Stars have been "new" for a pretty long time, so maybe It is time after all... T_T)

Long Live Bionicle.

- :b: :i: :m_o: :c: :r: :y:

Edited by BioCry

:I

Wow.

Well that is pretty awful. Not entirely unexpected, but I'd hoped this wouldn't turn out like this in the end. I guess this is the final nail in the coffin as far as the serials are concerned. Perhaps Greg can one day continue them in an unofficial capacity in some form.

Man... the more I think about this, the more it saddens me. In reality, everything has been archived at this point, but it's more of the symbolic aspect of things.

I guess the mantle of responsibility falls to us completely now, not that it hasn't been that way for quite a long while.

R.I.P BIONICLE.

-Mesonak

The Three Virtues YouTube Channel

-----

the3virtuesbanner.png

-----

Check it out for laughs, discussion, and more.

...So serials will never be finished...:

lawl.png

I have been known as shark112, Shark112, Shark Owns Demons All teh Time (yes the is typoed intentionally), Sharkalicious, The Venom Symbiote, Zyglakky Shark Ranger, Pope Sharkictus CXII, King Sharkictus CXII, Dotor Shark PhD Bionicle, and Shark.

Hm, this is very sad to hear. I really appreciate the fact that they kept both websites up this long after they cancelled Bionicle, so I have got to thank them for that.

sig.png

• Upvote 1

lazy_life_3.0_banner.png

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Three Virtues | Eljay: The Becoming | BioCraft: Chronicles

Go give a read to an amazing epic,

Seven Lives... Two Faces, written by Kini Hawkeye!

Even though the end of the BIONICLE era was in 2010, it was great that LEGO had preserved the site for so long. It's always sad to see a site I frequented for a long time go down. Can't say I was too attached to Bioniclestory.com though. Either way, both will be missed.

Up, down, turn around, please don't let me hit the ground

For all those who are saying it should stay up, think about it this way—

How many times have you found yourself browsing the Bionicle website in the past month? Okay, now ask yourself how many times you think the average child LEGO fan goes on the Bionicle website? I don't think it's very frequent, especially when there is more engaging, up-to-date things to do on LEGO.com. It's not worth the money to keep a couple sites up and online for just a minuscule audience to use.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

LUG Ambassador and administrator at Brickipedia

News reporter and database administrator at Brickset

Administrator at BIONICLEsector01

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

Well, it had to happen sooner or later. It is sad to see the last 'official' pages come down, but it's not like this is out of the blue.

So long, websites. Your various flash pages and medium-quality JPEGs will live on in the archives of history, or more accurately a few sites dedicated to backing up all the Bionicle stuff anyway. :P

Hey: I'm not very active around BZP right now.  However, you can always contact me through PM (I have email notifications set up) and I will reply as soon as I can.

Useful Topics: The Q&A Compendium | The Official RPG Planning Topic
Stories: Fractures | An Aftermath | Three Stories | LSO 2012 Epics: Team Three | The Shadow and the Sea | The Days They Were Needed | Glitches | Transformations | Echoes | The Kaita and the Storyteller | Nui

BZPRPG: Komae · Soraya · Bohrei

Blog: Defendant Lobby no. 42

Well, there goes my last link to LEGO for me. I still remember playing Piraka Attack when I was 6. It feels like yesterday. As link as the sites are backed up somewhere, I'll be happy, and I did go to take a final screenshot when I read this. RIP, Bionicle.

• Upvote 1

I like BZP so much, I named my Minecraft account Dimensioneer.

Well, that's it, I'm assuming, so sad.

Bionicle will share the fate of so many of my other favorites like SRMTHFG and Fillmore. That really sucks.

Seriosly though, we need to be strong, if the Age of Empires II community could keep that game alive for so long, then we can do the same thing.

BZPRPG Profiles

Nuparu-Ferron-Mar-Zelvin-Wiremu-Farzan-Mako-Krex-Tamachan-???

Akiri Nuparu Posts:

1. 2. ...

This is saddening news indeed. BIONICLE.com remains my homepage to this day. I hope—trust, in fact—that the BIONICLE community will back up everything from the sites before they are gone. Much of that has been done already, of course; but it would be nice if someone copied the pages to create complete copies of the sites (minus accounts and so forth, naturally) as they are currently for viewing purposes (perhaps I would change that to my homepage). Despite this sad news, though, I would like to point out that this actually isn't the last nail in the coffin, as some have heralded it to be. If I recall, Binkmeister lost dominion over BIONICLEstory.com a while ago (or if that is incorrect, another similar situation arose) and consequently Greg has not been planning on releasing the serials there for some time. The closing of the websites makes it no less likely that the serials will continue. Similarly, the BIONICLE forums on the LEGO.com Message Boards were made subforums of the Classics forum some time ago, but they are still active and consequently BIONICLE still has a presence on the LEGO website. Hackneyed as it may sound, the fact is that the best way to perpetuate BIONICLE is by not letting developments such as these faze us and by continuing to hope for its return. Despite this, however, I am still greatly saddened. To be honest, as I think about the prospects of this my eyes are watering. Those times I spent in the gallery and building levels for others to play in the Mistika game will soon be over, and I can still find myself going back to check the standings in the Phantoka game. Anyway, my intent in posting this was to console those worried about BIONICLE's future and to state my feelings about the websites' closure without being overly dramatic. As I have obviously overstepped the latter, I should probably stop typing. :P RIP, BIONICLE.com. RIP, BIONICLEstory.com.

Edited by Infrared

When I first read the title. I thought it was going to include all websites about Bionicle including this one. Thank goodness that's not the case. It's sad to see those sites go. But I never really went on there in the first place. When the serial chapters were put out. I read them on Biosector. So seeing them go isn't as big a deal to me as it would be to others.

:smiletol: I am Takanui Nuva. The Toa Nuva of Light :smiletol:
11.gifI also go by Baron Von Brickenstein 11.gif

AFOL, Gamer and overall nice person.

This story is not true. Lego would not be so stupid.

Except Binkmeister is the one who reported it. And since he's actually working in the Web Management side of Lego, I'm willing to believe the source is accurate.Don't worry guys, we'll always have Wayback Machine... and BZP/BS01.
  • Upvote 1

bzpsig2015.png

I cant say this massivly impacts me. I dont use the site anymore. A little bit of nostalgic sadness though. I remember when it used to load with a little white silhouette of Toa Matau in 2004.

Edited by CeeCee

Signature Guidelines: Avatar and signature total file size may not exceed 250 KB!

CeeCee, the comics still have that little loading feature.

I suppose it's for the best. For a long time, the websites have been like a late adolescent child who died unexpectedly in their sleep, but their parents decided to preserve the body instead of burying it.

This was something necessary. Be grateful that we have people willing to keep everything safe for us and for future generations.

I guess I'm going to go on a massive downloading spree soon.

Tahu.png

i wanna be the very best

like no one ever was

to catch them is my real test

to train them is my cause

I sent a complaint to Lego (how unexpected), and got a reply already! Apparently the reason they're going is because of limited disk space on Lego's servers, which is going to newer themes such as TMNT.

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

I sent a complaint to Lego (how unexpected), and got a reply already! Apparently the reason they're going is because of limited disk space on Lego's servers, which is going to newer themes such as TMNT.

Well, it's just the rules of nature (and business).BIONICLE was cancelled, no need for promotion. But they've still had the websites up, even continued the story afterwards (even if it was just a short span). With this dies a part of my childhood -- a part of me. But I don't feel like we can even blame LEGO for this, had this been any other company of any other kind of entertainment, it'd had been over for way long now.

On a completely related note, I just got everything (except the icons) from the downloads section for PC. For if it's ever needed.

Edited by Night Terror

"Dream, not of what you are, but of what you want to be."

Credit to Surreality for the banner, and to bonesiii, Black Six and Binkmeister for the Proto Boosts!

A sad day it is indeed for all of us. Thus begins the conclusion of an era. :( Man, the hours I spent on those sites, playing mnolg II, or finding instructions and serials. Bionicle still lives on in our hearts though! I hope these sites may come up another day once our favorite toy line returns.

-Takua

Tu2d6W7.jpg

Saw that coming. Honestly surprised it didn't happen sooner (which is not to say I'm glad that it's gone, which is not the case).

I cant say this massivly impacts me. I dont use the site anymore. A little bit of nostalgic sadness though.

This.

If GregF continues the story (he might) he should post it here, on BZP.

If he ever does, I think it likely that it will happen here, or be in some way associated with BZP.

save not only their lives

d665fa5c17bc200a946e0a69eaf11f929dc080cb

but their spirits

Sad to see them going, but it was bound to happen sooner or later. I've already moved on, but I do have a lot of fond memories from BIONICLE.com and BIONICLEstory.com. Both were great websites for a kid like me.

-TNTOS-

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

A Writerly Blog

The Tasty Library of Sugary Goodness

(My Little BIONICLE: Friendship is Explosive Completed 01/05/14)

{The Shika Trilogy Omnibus Completed 03/31/14) (Review Topic)

(In the End Completed 09/01/14) (Review Topic)

The Biological Chronicle: (2001) (2002) (2003) (2004) (2005) (2006) (2007) (2008) (2009) (2010)

If GregF continues the story (he might) he should post it here, on BZP.

If he ever does, I think it likely that it will happen here, or be in some way associated with BZP.

Greg isn't permitted by Lego to post on here due to their restrictions on interaction with children that were introduced in early 2011. That wouldn't stop him sending story content to the staff to post, though.

Edited by Sir Kohran

I know a lot of people are upset by this news, but let's not forget to give due thanks to Kelly McKiernan (Binkmeister) for sharing it with us. If BZPower didn't have such a strong relationship with Lego's own web developer, the site could have gone down without warning. Thanks to Bink, fans and fan websites have an opportunity to back up all the information, games, and media on the site before it's gone for good.

Anyway, it would feel like the end of an era to me if it weren't for the fact that that "end of an era" really came long ago, when the site stopped updating. The Bionicle website's disappearance was to be expected eventually, and that time has finally come.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Such a sad event, which was unknowingly conveniently timed.

Kinda didn't want to say anything about this just yet, but one of the reasons of my recent near-inactivity was a technical one. Originally the plan was to host a copy of a (mostly working) version of the Kanoka Club from before the "B.I.O. Codes" which turned the entire section into a single page which you could use to get free wallpapers, though I suppose it could also be expanded to include the rest of the Bionicle-website as well.

Going to try to keep this project BZP-compliant (i.e.: no forums of it's own, which would've been rather redundant and beside it's purpose anyway). No ETA as of yet, unless you count "as soon as possible" as a valid unit of time.

iquXD5X.png

I'm saddened to hear this. It's not surprising IMO, but I'm still going to miss the sites once their gone. I'll never forget checking Bioniclestory.com everyday, waiting for the next serial update. Those were the good days.

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png